411s / 811s New Firmare results

Folks,

I have extensively tested the 411s and 811s drives this morning on the new firmwares (FS0F & HS0E respectively), using media and players that failed 100% of the time on earlier firmwares.

I am happy to report every single disc in both burners worked and played fine in 100% of all the players, not a single fault was noted.

At my request Liteon added ricohjpnr01, mcc002, and TY 4x media as 8x allowable to the 811s firmware, and all the ones I tested also worked fine at 8x and played in all players. The only failures which were very strange were Ricoh branded discs (RICOHJPNR01) failed 100% 3 out of 3 locking the drive up during lead in. However, TDK branded 4x (RICOHJPNR01) worked flawlessly.

cheers
NicW
www.dvdinfopro.com
www.dvdrrw.org

typical for RICOHJPNR01, very inconsistant.

Originally posted by nicw
[B]Folks,

I have extensively tested the 411s and 811s drives this morning on the new firmwares (FS0F & HS0E respectively), using media and players that failed 100% of the time on earlier firmwares.

I am happy to report every single disc in both burners worked and played fine in 100% of all the players, not a single fault was noted.

At my request Liteon added ricohjpnr01, mcc002, and TY 4x media as 8x allowable to the 811s firmware, and all the ones I tested also worked fine at 8x and played in all players. The only failures which were very strange were Ricoh branded discs (RICOHJPNR01) failed 100% 3 out of 3 locking the drive up during lead in. However, TDK branded 4x (RICOHJPNR01) worked flawlessly.

cheers
NicW
www.dvdinfopro.com
www.dvdrrw.org [/B]

Mmm you’re saying that the 811s is burning 4X TY @ 8X? Man I need a pck of these but really dunno what brand to get TY +R …

I can second Nic’s comments.

It is my opinion that with the release of these f/w’s, Liteon are redeeming themselves somewhat in the eye’s of the consumer.

It seems to be a case of time heals all (or, at very worst, most) wounds.

…gotta have a little faith in a company that has proven themselves countless times to come through with the goods when it counts.

Still some niggling issues - but, for the most part I feel they are well and truly on top of this.

:cool:

The FS0F did not solve my problems with DVD-R and stand-alone players :

Toshiba SD100e (“old”, but known to play correctly DVD-R) :
-RitekG04 burned at 4x pain to load (fail 4/5 times). When loaded, plays OK but with permanent tiny clicks : may I trust it ?
-Verbatim -R 4x (MCC01RG20) loads and plays OK, but tiny clicks too.

JVC XV-N 33SL : designed to play all, and known to do it very well :
-Same Ritek G04 and Verbatim just gives “no disk” after some seconds of search, just what I obtained with previous firmwares.

I join the K-Probe file for the Ritek burned and read at 4x : far from perfect, but not so bad ! The Verbatim is better, but for same result.

DVD+R works fine in the JVC, and in most PC drives I tried, but they worked fine with previous firmwares, too…

While solving the remaining DVD-R compatibility issues, Lite-On could provide utility for changing the “book type field” of DVD+R : it should fit perfectly with the Toshiba SD100e and many other old home players (see dvdrhelp.com). Even my older but fine Toshiba SD3107e which seems to read only this mode.

And i will forget DVD-R on 411s for some time !

Originally posted by ddid
[B]The FS0F did not solve my problems with DVD-R and stand-alone players :

Toshiba SD100e (“old”, but known to play correctly DVD-R) :
-RitekG04 burned at 4x pain to load (fail 4/5 times). When loaded, plays OK but with permanent tiny clicks : may I trust it ?
-Verbatim -R 4x (MCC01RG20) loads and plays OK, but tiny clicks too.

JVC XV-N 33SL : designed to play all, and known to do it very well :
-Same Ritek G04 and Verbatim just gives “no disk” after some seconds of search, just what I obtained with previous firmwares.

I join the K-Probe file for the Ritek burned and read at 4x : far from perfect, but not so bad ! The Verbatim is better, but for same result.

DVD+R works fine in the JVC, and in most PC drives I tried, but they worked fine with previous firmwares, too…

While solving the remaining DVD-R compatibility issues, Lite-On could provide utility for changing the “book type field” of DVD+R : it should fit perfectly with the Toshiba SD100e and many other old home players (see dvdrhelp.com). Even my older but fine Toshiba SD3107e which seems to read only this mode.

And i will forget DVD-R on 411s for some time ! [/B]

I am unable to duplicate your results on that same media. The results on FS0F are excellent, even on that same media. The results are also equal on 411s and 811s using the new firmwares.

Are you sure you upgraded via the genuine FS0F liteon flash utility?

Is your drive a modified 401s, as your symptoms seem to suggest that is the case.

cheers
NicW

Thank you for your quick reaction ! All is as clean as can be, for sure.

I choosed the 411s because I knew I will probably need a dual drive, according to infos on my players (dvdrhelp.com), and had a Lite-On 40125S CD burner which will work perfectly (I did never think to update the firmware !).

I had my 411s for just a week, and both box, papers, drive and system told me that it was just truely a 411s, with FS02 firmware.

Only then I found CD-Freaks, and understand it won’t be easy… I bought supposed quality media (Ricoh,Verbatim, Ritek, Traxdata, both -R and +R).

I tried first the DVD+RW (Ricoh JPNW11), then the DVD+R (Ricoh JPNR01) given with the drive, at 4x with Nero 6.0023, and all was good, except that my Toshiba home players can not read them without modifying book type field, what I expected…

I used the Lite-On utility for flashing first to FS0B, burned on a Ritek G04 at 2x only (according to what I read here). Poor result : freezings at end of disk in Toshiba homer player and PC drives, including the 411s, and “no disk” message in versatile JVC home player. What I read in CD-Freaks and Lite-On site forums convinced me I was engaged in problems…

It was just time to call (november 13) and obtain the return of the drive at my reseller, and then buy a Pioneer 106 to live reasonably in peace.

As I now have two weeks to return it, the FS0F was ready on november 14, and I have CD-Freaks for help me (and I hope I can help someone else !), I will test it and hope will be convinced to keep my Lite-On : it has obviously many qualities, and this forum is one of them !

But let’s get rid of the defects.

I was just on my way to trough away my Lite-On LDW-411s in the trashcan. But when I saw FS0F I thought I give it a shoot.

And WOW. I got very impresed! It works now 100% with my Thomson DVD-player!!! Amazing!!!

I have allso a Pioneer A05 DVD-Burner. And before FS0F came. I was more satisfied with the Pionner because it’s still the king of DVD-R(W) formats. =) But now I can allso use the Lite-On 411s in my server to burn DVD’s. PERFECT!

/Dyzan

does this mean that the 411s and 811s will now allow you to play backed up dvd’s on the xbox or did anyone try yet. was gonna get the pioneer 106 but might wait a while as the 811s is 180euro incl. delivery and is sure to drop a lot more.

It may still have problems with some drives… so we have to wait to the next release.

/Dyzan

just got this drive updated the firmware to the stated one, it burned to my 4x arita 4,552,605,696 bytes (4.23gig) in 8min 34 secs ;266

i id a k-probe scan of the resulting disc,

this plays perfectly in my samsung standalone but the xbox(samsung drive) recognises no disc

is this a bad k-probe?

have tested again using arita 2.4x dvd+r to burn an xbox iso,

this was also not recognised by my xbox,
both tests using recordnow max 4.5

i have burned the same iso to the same media with my old ricoh mp5125a drive and it works perfectly

any ideas on what the prob might be

Originally posted by xeviousx

any ideas on what the prob might be

See here.

thanks for the heads up,

i found that thread while searching, i must hope for a firmware hack or keep burning my xbox games at 2.4x on the ricoh:(

Time to add my first scan to the pile:

TDK+R (RICOHJPN001 rev 2.0) @ 8x

I am somewhat gobsmacked. Darn this firmware is an impressive step up from previous efforts!!!

Meanwhile, fine in all players thus far, however, it would seem that the disc’s refuse to be recognised correctly in the XBOX…=\

Time to say: thanks!!!

Thanks to this forum!!!
Thanks to the people who make this forum one of the best!!!
Thanks to Lite-on for their great support!!!

I burned 25 movies (DVD- at 4x) with FS07 and FS0B. On most DVD players (including the PS2) the disc could be read. On my HITEKER only the DVD+ could be read.

And now, with the FS0F … te te de deeeeee… everything works great!

Now has come the time to do the overclocking trick!!! Gentlemen start your engines and let’s get in to overclocking!!!

Maurice

just thought id add that i burned a movie on the 4x dvd-r provided

burned fine and works perfectly in the xbox with samsung drive:)

liteon dvd-r media code

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0E 15 .l…@…R…
00000010 98 9A 90 00 03 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 00 04 47 2E 20 …CMC MA…G.
00000020 41 46 31 00 05 CC C0 00 00 00 01 00 06 0B 10 11 AF1…

burned with recordnow max 4.5 at 4x:)