If you are thinking of upgrading your drive from a 411S@811S this is the thread for you.
If you haven't already, read through this guide twice.
ANY questions? That's what this thread is for.
Ask away and happy modding
411s@811s EEPROM repair tool to improve upgrade: (v4.0)
Included in the package:
- Patcher.exe (for EEPROM modification only)
- FlashFix.exe (for modification of official firmware only)
- LTNFlash (for reading and writing of your EEPROM)
- This .nfo file!
i) Things to be aware of:
This modification technique fixes the MAJOR problems with the other methods. DVD-R (minus or negative) writing @ 2X and 4X is now possible with 411S@811S. It fixes the freeze on lead out issues that were synonymous with the previous modification technique.
It goes without saying, it also fixes 8x & 6x writing, to the best of the current build can accommodate.
An EEPROM is like a drives unique fingerprint â€“ it is fine tuned for any given drive. Putting a real 811S EEPROM right onto your 411S is just plain silly.
This patcher corrects missing 8x and 6x calibration data, missing from the 411S drives.
This EEPROM patcher is also a checksum correction method. Hence, it will allow you to use the REAL Liteon windows flashers
If you patch your EEPROM with this patch, you can go back to a 411S drive at any time via the use of LTNFlash and a .bin of the latest 411S firmware, or even a flashfixed official 411S Windows flasher. LOGICALLY, you MUST put your original EEPROM back on the drive also!
Lots of talk about the â€œSafeâ€ tool has materialised. While this method if MUCH safer than the previous method of modifications, nothing is totally safe. It is naÃ¯ve to think that ANY over clock is 100% safe.
As every laser diode is unique, every calibration is so. But it will work for 99% of people. The other 1% - this issue is being worked on
At this time we do not know if ALL DRIVES laser diodes are rated for the needed power at 8x (ca. 30mW). It could potentially be overpowered as it's only 4x rated (ca. 18mW).
We will know one day if the first drives fail permanently. Its unlikely however
UNDERSTAND THIS: IF YOU HAVE A PREVIOUS MOD ON EEPROM - you NEED to use the ORIGINAL EEPROM. Do NOT TRY AND PATCH THIS ONTO AN ALREADY MODDED EEPROM. USE YOUR ORIGINAL.
Backup current EEPROM using LTNFlash. Put it somewhere SAFE. Make many copies and put them in places where they will never accidentally be overwritten!
To do this, run LTNFlash, select the 411S, go to the EEPROM tab then hit READ, then SAVE.
Open the patcher (patcher.exe) from the command line. Have a copy of your original EEPROM in the same DIR as the patcher.exe
Run the patch tool on the EEPROM by calling the patcher at command line (Start> Run> cmd (or command in Win98), then typing the name of the original EEPROM, with the file extension, then typing the name of the new EEPROM you wish to create eg:
patcher myEEPROM_original.bin myEEPROM_modded.bin
Accept the warnings - if you dare. Be aware of what is being said!
Once finished, run LTNFlash and using the EEPROM tab, LOAD the newly modified EEPROM into LTNFlash then WRITE the new newly modified EEPROM onto your drive.
Download the latest firmware from LiteonIT's home page - at current time of writing, the newest official firmware is HS0P.exe available from the page.
Use the tool FLASHFIX to run on the firmware once downloaded. It is included in the package.
If you have problems understanding flashfix, read its readme file!
Once you have run flashFix on the new OFFICIAL firmware you downloaded from LiteonIT's website run the windows patcher (HS0P.exe for example) and accept the warnings. BE VERY CAREFUL TO FLASH THE RIGHT DRIVE!
Once the drive is finished programming, a forced reboot will occur!
Your EEPROM is now corrected for 8x +R writing. You can now use REAL Liteon firmware's on your drive as they are released!
NOTE: The patcher tool is to be run from the COMMAND LINE in a DOS command window. You CANNOT run it via double clicking! If you do not understand this, please lookup a guide on the lamerweb.
Finally - if you break/hurt/mame/destroy/melt your drive in the process of your tweaking/OCing adventures, DONT be a selfish little twerp! BUY A NEW ONE - DONT WHINGE TO LITEON FOR A REPLACEMENT! YES, BUY A NEW ONE.
The company gives the enthusiast community a great deal of pleasure! The least you can do is be honest and buy a new one if your adventures result in a nuked drive.
Big thanks to the whole beta team and those involved with the creation of this mod. Without you, NONE of this would have come to fruition![/b]