411 to 811 failed. any help?

vbimport

Hi all. My first post. Well thanks for all the work you guys do and for this community. Now that outta the way let me go ahead and complain..just kidding.

Well i downloaded the v4 zebra patch and tried to overclock it..and...it failed.

Details.

used ltnflash and backed up my original eeprom ( BTW it was only 1kb is that right?)

used the patcher, patched the original bin file.

wrote the modded bin

flashed hsok 811 after patching it.

now till this point everything went smooth. But then i tried to back up a movie..nero told me that my max writing speed was 4x..now that was my first indication, but being the positive fruitcake that i am , put in a new taiyo yuden dvd+r and started the burn..and ..BAM!!!..my dvdr buffer was at 6% and the burn stalled and the orange kept flashing.

So i siad..noo biggie...i was smart and saved my original eeprom..so flashed back to it and flashed back to the original fsoh firmware..everything went on fine, but again the same burn issue..so simple put ..am i f****? :rolleyes:

Once again, I knew the risks i was taking, but i was wondering if this could be reversed? any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks in advance.
Regards,
Diana

Did you reboot after each flash?

well yes sir, i did reboot after each flash. I guess i fixed it now, brought it back to its original state. The way i figure it if i flash with a bin file with update boot code checked it works. so i am now back to my 411s with fsoj.bin. too chcken to try it again. any idea where i can find the bin version of hsok.bin for 811s?
regards,
Diana

You may need to update boot code to go in either direction.

flashed hsok 811 after patching it.

Does that mean you did something to the firmware?

i think he means he used flashfix to get it to update the firmware.
This is needed the first time you put an 811 firmware on the modded drive. After that it’s not needed n e more.

OK after my little overclcocking fiasco. I reverted back to a workign 411s with a fsoj.bin. But now XP recognizes it as a cdrom drive instead of a DVDR, any ideas how to make it recognize it as a dvdr. Although burn functions havent been affected, i would like to have it show up as a DVDR. I retried the overclock again, and followed all instruction but it still failed. The drive reads, but burn speeds still show up as 4x in nero info tool. I flashed 8x firmware with update boot code, but still the same issue. :a :a

Thanks rdgrimes , for you quick reply. I really did appreciate that. nice mod :slight_smile:

Also where can i find bin versions of 411s and 811s? I tried the bin extractor at the command line, but the darn thing kept giving me an “error 53 occured” message, and didnt do didly squat :frowning:

Well gentlemen any input that would shed some light on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Diana

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Windoz will always call it a CDRom, that’s normal.

Originally posted by Spidy1000
i think he means he used flashfix to get it to update the firmware.
This is needed the first time you put an 811 firmware on the modded drive. After that it’s not needed n e more.

why would you need FlashFix to update the firmware?

Originally posted by sidebar
why would you need FlashFix to update the firmware?

Since the official windows versions only allows flashing drives of the same model with earlier firmwares.

But by using flashfix you will be able to flash other models than the firmware is made for (like required for going from 411 to 811).

Originally posted by DianaGavin
Well gentlemen any input that would shed some light on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

‘DianaGavin’ or somebody else. Shed some light, please tell me where are we?

i. “upgrade” 411@811 Z-MOD V4, or
ii. “downgrade” 811–> 411 with original eeprom and .BIN FW, or
iii. “upgrade” 411@811, no MOD specified, or
iv. “downgrade” to “411” with wrong FW/ wrong method,
or, or?..:rolleyes:

My advice DianaGavin; go back to a 411S;
-Load your original 411 eeprom (~1kb) ‘write’
-Restart
-Load Firmware in .BIN, FS0F or earlyer (~1Mb) ‘update bootCode’
/alt. use MtkFlash in DOS.
-Resstart. Burn some DVD+R or /-R and you will get back “the DVD-R” in device manager.
[If I missed anything essential here, correct me pls.]

.BIN Firmware can be found here:
http://liteonmods.bonwalcpm.com/ or here:
http://dhc014.rpc1.org/indexOEM.htm
-If you have problem with d/l, drop me a PM :slight_smile:

Tools, if needed:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441
:slight_smile:

Thx for the reply pinto.

Well as for the dvdrw issue, i.e drive showing up as cdrom instead of the dvd-r or dvdrw drive. It isn’t related to flashing, but to certain windows (XP) services. Make sure the following services are set to automatic ( i had turned them off to optimize my system)

1. Shell hardware detection
  2. all windows instrumentation services.

Anyways, I am back to my original 411s with fsof. Too chicken to mtkflash in dos and f*** it up all over again.

So thanks of royur help once again. and hope this helps the folks for whom the drive aint showing up in windows as it is supposed to.

Regards,
Diana