411 or 451? I need a to buy one quick!

Okay, so I stumbled here and learned all the upgrade methods for the 411. When i tried to order one, most retailers have the 451. I however did find one that is still confirming the 411s. So i’m in quite a quandary, which should i get? is there a difference in terms of stability and hacking the firmware?

I need to know quick because I have to order in the next few hours in order for it to be shipped out today, so that I can get it by Wednesday, so that I can have it before Friday, when Spring Break starts. Nice time crunch eh?

thanks for looking/responding.

If you are buying the drive based on overclocking merits. Get the 451S. It’s a little easier to overclock to 851S (8x +R).
But it looks like the 451S might easier/possible to convert to a 812S (8x +R and -R) as well (no promises of course with any OC).

which do you think newegg is selling? the 451 or the 411? are they a trusted company? meaning they say you get 1 DVDR and 1 DVDRW, is that what I’ll end up getting?

I called their customer service and they said it was impossible to tell which they would be shipping, be it 411 or 451…

No idea about newegg. They don’t deliver to Canada so I’ve never dealt with them personally. I have heard many times though that they are one of the best.

Someone else may have to answer that question for you.

In regards to the 411S or 451S, can’t you make them send you one or the other?

I ordered my drive from Newegg. They will send you whatever they have in stock–the 411 or the 451, since NE considers them to be basically the same product (the only place where they make the firm distinction is in the 451 retail box). My guess is that now that the 411 is more or less discontinued, changes are, what you’ll get from NE is the 451.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]No idea about newegg. They don’t deliver to Canada so I’ve never dealt with them personally. I have heard many times though that they are one of the best.

Someone else may have to answer that question for you.

In regards to the 411S or 451S, can’t you make them send you one or the other? [/B]

well after hearing testimonials from other here, about getting swapped out drives and DVDRW discs being replaced and the like, i decided to order from a trusted company and pay a couple of bucks more, Newegg. I have always gotten great service from them, and they are an exceptional company.

So I called three times today, and each time the rep said that they didnt know which would be shipped out but suspected that more than likely it would be the 451.

The last time i called, I talked to a girl who put me on hold for quite a while checking on a few things. Then she said to go ahead and order the drive, wait 15 minutes, then call her back, and she will try and make sure that the 451 ships out. I am in the process of trying to call her right now…

… Well I just talked to her while I was typing up this message and she said that she would put a note to “please send 451S”.

Thats great service, for $93 to get the retail box, with hopefully 1DVDR, 1DVDRW, and another Free DVDR as a “customer appreciation gift”, with free fedex saver shipping. Her name is Tatum btw. Very kind and helpful person.

Good to hear, I’ll keep that in mind next time someone asks me about newegg :smiley:

Originally posted by OU8thisSN
[B]which do you think newegg is selling? the 451 or the 411? are they a trusted company? meaning they say you get 1 DVDR and 1 DVDRW, is that what I’ll end up getting?

I called their customer service and they said it was impossible to tell which they would be shipping, be it 411 or 451… [/B]

I can’t think of an online company I’d trust more than them… :slight_smile:

okay, just to clarify, it seems my order is complete and ready to ship. I noticed even on the web status dialog they said:

• PLEASE SEND item#27-106-927 451S
    Items Shipped From: NJ
  • DVD+/-RW LITEON LDW-451S/411S RT N82E16827106927 1:32:12 PM 1 $93.00

If you notice, the 27106927 that was in the note, matches the last numbers in the item that was shipped, so i guess i’ll be recieving the 451s. <whew>

also, another interesting note: they have a customer appreciation thing where you get 5 free DVDRs, not 1, but 5. I thought it was one, but upon closer examination, its 5!!

its a big deal to me becuase thats yet another thing i dont have to buy immediately. You have to scroll down, and there are 3 choices, but they are random, so keep refreshing the window until the picture of a DVDR pops up.

remember, when you do have problems with the drive, check out my <a href=“http://short-circuit.zapto.org/ftopic53.php”>How to fix your Liteon DVD Burner</a> thread.