411@811: yes or no?

I know it is not allowed to talk about eeprom, “some piece of software used to flash liteon drives” :wink: but would just like to know if it is possible and if so is it “legal” and “doable”.

Thanks for your answers.

Well, since no licensing issues are involved there is not any difference to the other “OC-topics” which have been discussed extensively on this forum. However, it would be wise not to mention any tools/programs used to do these modifications.
> “Not allowed to talk about eeprom”?
Have never heard of this rule. However, it has been stressed here that it’s not wise to mess with it.
At the end it’s your own decision. But maybe it’s not even necessary to modify it. We should rather have a look at firmware differences…

Ok so it’s possible but it should be possible to find another way to do it which would be easier… THX :wink:

Originally posted by thibouille
Ok so it’s possible but it should be possible to find another way to do it which would be easier… THX :wink:

Err…yes :confused: I think that’s what I meant.
For now, theres a lot of speculation - although it has been already demonstrated (even in this forum) that it’s possible. In any case it won’t be as easy as the “previous upgrade” since it involves firmware editing/copying/pasting…

I don’t think the 411S components allow to burn at 8x.

Originally posted by Lvsitano
I don’t think the 411S components allow to burn at 8x.

The components which are the same like the ones of the 811s? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by polka_brother
The components which are the same like the ones of the 811s? :rolleyes:

How can you be so sure of that?

Originally posted by Airhead
How can you be so sure of that?

I trust dhc014 :wink: :

zebraC wrote:
i) IS IT THE SAME DRIVE MECHANICALLY

dhc014 wrote:
Yes, this has been checked before.

Let’s better start a discussion of the question HOW instead of the question IF it is possible…

Give it a go the old good way then, exchange firmwares and if it doesnt work start fiddle with eeprom. All we need is somebody with a little guts (and a drive ;)). I need to read up on how things are done these days…

Why not the same method as the :bigsmile: not possible :bigsmile: 401->411 conversion ?

Didn’t I say just that? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Airhead
Didn’t I say just that? :slight_smile:

I’m very sorry for not being able to use my eyes as I should :bigsmile: will try better new time :wink:

Why not the same method as the :bigsmile: not possible :bigsmile: 401->411 conversion ?

Try yourself, orange flashing LED…
Although OC had the 411s running at 8x with a modified firmware, I still don’t know if it was necessary to also modify the eeprom to get the firmware “accepted” by the drive.
Anyway, eeprom-modding should be easy if we -finally- get a look at an 811s eeprom.
Firmware modifications will be more difficult though. Maybe it would be worth to try pasting the relevant parts of the 811s firmware into the 411s firmware. But which parts ARE relevant? Media codes, and? …

Originally posted by polka_brother
Try yourself, orange flashing LED…

I didn’t read carefully enough 'cos I thought the guy who tried that (dunno who sorry) did just try to flash firmware. He didn’t have a 811 eeprom. Well that’s what I thought.

I didn’t read carefully enough 'cos I thought the guy who tried that (dunno who sorry) did just try to flash firmware. He didn’t have a 811 eeprom. Well that’s what I thought.
If it would be so easy we already would have had countless positive reports on this board.
Firmware modification is necessary I think. It’s more tricky (challenging!) this time - also because people who (maybe) succeeded have their reasons for not posting info on the procedure…

I was under the impression that the Laser head side of the drive is more powerful in the 811s compaired to the 411s (Different laser colour) - Anyone had the 2 drives apart and compaired the component numbers etc??,although I would imagine they would be scrapped off / made un-identifyable :eek:

Correct me if I am way off beat…

L8ters

Bill.

Originally posted by Wild_Bill
I was under the impression that the Laser head side of the drive is more powerful in the 811s compaired to the 411s (Different laser colour)

The wavelength (= colour) must be the same. The laser power doesn’t affect the wavelength altough you’ll need more laser power to write at higher speeds.

Just so nobody gets confused by reading this. The solution is NOT to flash a 411 with the EEPROM off of an 811. When people talk of EEPROM mods, they mean modding the EEPORM off of their own drive. We had enough screwed up “411” drives due to the widely posted techniques for flashing the EEPORM from one drive to another. We can’t speak about EEPORM flashing details and tools, but we need to be very clear that every drive has it’s own EEPROM and it needs to stay that way for reliable performance.

That said, untill we get some virgin 811 drives for extraction of the firmware, there’s not much to do but speculate.

You’re right. Eeprom-mod would rather mean to modify certain codes in the original eeprom. Flashing a drive with the eeprom of another model only made sense to make it TEMPORARILY “look” like the other to be able to flash the other model’s firmware. Even in upgrade-howtos that have been posted in other places it was always stressed that the original eeprom is necessary for reliable performance (and should be backuped before anything is done).
Stupid users always can mess up their drives - I guess that didn’t change since the “early times” of Lite-on OCing
:wink:

Originally posted by rdgrimes:
That said, untill we get some virgin 811 drives for extraction of the firmware, there’s not much to do but speculate.
Did you mix up firmware with eeprom here? Why can’t we just compare the BINs we extracted from the HS0E.exe with FS0F?

Why can’t we just compare the BINs we extracted from the HS0E.exe with FS0F?

you can, but I prefer to have specimins from a drive that’s been updated with the official flasher. I’m just picky that way.