411/811 and DVD-RW read problems?

vbimport

Hi,

I was just wondering if it was normal to have problems reading a DVD-RW writen by the 411 or 411@811 burners (using FSOF, FSOJ and HSOP respectively). I burned a +RW as a +R disc (setting the bitsetting to ROM wasn’t needed) and I could take the disc out and read it in my comps DVD-ROM drive (samsung dvd-rom sd-616t).

However, my -RW burned as a -R isn’t readable in ANYTHING other than the Liteon 411 that burned it. The 411 is the only thing I have that can read the -RW disc.

I’ve used “good” media (pretty expensive Memorex and Imation). I’ve tried completely erasing a disc first, full formatting, etc…nothing seems to work. It works great with +RW media.

Also, while my laptop can see -R and +R media, it can’t read -RW or +RW media, no matter how I burn it. Is that normal, too?

Thanks

All DVD-ROM drives and standalones have different read abilities and disc type compatibilities.
I would suggest reading/finding the media type compatabilities for your specific drives.
It sounds like you have some drives that only support DVD+RW or DVD±R only.
You can try looking on http://wwwdvdrhelp.com to find compatibility experiences on standalones.
For DVD-ROM drives I would check the manufacturers’ website to check the mediatype compatabilities.

Installing the latest firmware on your DVD-ROM drives may increase their media type support. So you MAY be able to read your DVD-RW discs on your DVD-ROM drives after a firmware update. once again, refer to the manufacturers website. :slight_smile:

Well, I looked up my DVD-ROMs on the net. Laptop is identified by Device Manager as a “Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2202”. Toshiba doesn’t list ANY firmware that I could find. But, on the tech specs, it lists only, “DVD-ROM (DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18), DVD-R (read, single border)”

(I always thought burning any kind of RW media (CD or DVD +/-) as a R disc would make it readable in anything…if the Laptop’s Toshiba drive can read -R, why can’t it read a -RW burned as a -R disc?)

The Desktop’s DVD-ROM is identified as a “Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T”…although it looks nothing like the SD-616T on Samsung’s website. I found a firmware file on the webpage, but I don’t know if I already have that firmware package or not…how do I check? Also, the specs for that say it only supports DVD-R also, but I know it supports -R, +R, +RW.

Thanks for the help

To check your firmware version download DVDInfoPro and when you select your drive (use the drop down list on the bottom) it should show up on the right hand side under drive information.

Originally posted by qwertybot
[B]Well, I looked up my DVD-ROMs on the net. Laptop is identified by Device Manager as a “Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2202”. Toshiba doesn’t list ANY firmware that I could find. But, on the tech specs, it lists only, “DVD-ROM (DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18), DVD-R (read, single border)”

(I always thought burning any kind of RW media (CD or DVD +/-) as a R disc would make it readable in anything…if the Laptop’s Toshiba drive can read -R, why can’t it read a -RW burned as a -R disc?)
[/B]

As far as I know you can’t change the booktype on a -RW disc. So you can’t burn it “as a -R disc” .
You can also look for firmwares here:http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
Looks like your DVD-ROMs may not support DVD-RW.
Another suggestion, if you know someone else with a different DVDR drive, have them burn the DVD-RW disc and then test it in your DVD-ROM drives.

Ssseth,

Thanks for the link. But I’m not sure that prog is working right, since it says my Samsung DVD-ROM can’t read +R/+RW (which it does all the time), but can read -R/-RW (I can’t get it to read a -RW for the life of me).

Plus, it says my firmware is F308, but the newest firmware on samsung’s website is F306 (but it has a date that is newer than when I bought the computer—I bought it back in Nov of 02, and the firmware says Sept of 03) :confused:

wesociety,

Sorry, I didn’t quite explain it right…I don’t mean I change the bookmark to make it read like a ROM. I mean I don’t use packet writing software to use the RW disc as any other HardDrive hookep up to my computer–just drag and drop.

I meant to say that I burn the RW media like I would an R disc…load up whatever prog (Alcohol 120% for images and EZ-CD for individual files and folders) and burn the disc…the only difference being I can later erase that disc and burn it again–can’t do that with normal R media.

Thanks,