411->811->411 Voided Warranty?

vbimport

If I revert back to a 411 after sucessfully going to 811 will Liteon know it was done if I send the recorder in for repair? Is there anything that I need to do special?

Yeah, you definately voided your warranty.

Check your ethics…

As far as the ethics go I was having problems with the recorder not recognizing any media that I threw at it (pre 411-811 upgrade) . I started messing around upgrading firmware downgrading firmware to no avail. After hours of this, a few beers, and not enough sleep I thought I would try to upgrade to 811 not thinking that it might be a hardware problem. The upgrade to 811 did not fix anything, so I screwed myself, but did nothing unethical.

The Service Policy from liteon can be found here.

And Policy #3 :

The limited warranty does not extend to any damaged or defective by misuse, abuse, negligence, modification of the products, failure of fluctuation of electrical power, static electricity, lightning, fire or other acts of God.

And a 411@811@411 are in my eyes a modification of the products.

Maybe other people have another opinion.

Originally posted by frustration
As far as the ethics go I was having problems with the recorder not recognizing any media that I threw at it (pre 411-811 upgrade) . I started messing around upgrading firmware downgrading firmware to no avail. After hours of this, a few beers, and not enough sleep I thought I would try to upgrade to 811 not thinking that it might be a hardware problem. The upgrade to 811 did not fix anything, so I screwed myself, but did nothing unethical.

The mod is not meant to fix problems, simply to add 8x +R writing.

I apologize if my post was not clear. I did not damage the drive attempting to modify it, but thanks for spending the time to find those policies. I agree that if I fried the drive trying to modify from 411-811. The problem as it turns out appears to be a mechanical / optical problem that is preventing the drive from recognizing disks.

In a fit of frustration in the middle of the night I tried the 411-811 mod to see if it would fix it… it did not (hence the screwing myself comment)

Thanks for the comments.

Originally posted by frustration
I was having problems with the recorder not recognizing any media that I threw at it (pre 411-811 upgrade) . I started messing around upgrading firmware downgrading firmware to no avail. After hours of this, a few beers, and not enough sleep I thought I would try to upgrade to 811 not thinking that it might be a hardware problem.

This quote pretty much somes up why most of us noobs ended up at this forum. The fact is Liteon released a defective product, and if it wasnt for the efforts of the forum communities worldwide then I suspect these drives would have been returned to the suppliers in massive numbers and Liteon would have suffered a huge financial loss. Lets face it Liteon has been releasing firmware over and over again and still has not got it right for this product. The internet is the only thing thats keeping this drive alive. Its more a case of frustration rather than ethics.
:wink:

Hmm. My 411 and 811 are working flawlessly since the last firmware and installing force ASPi 4.6

Originally posted by aaronwt
Hmm. My 411 and 811 are working flawlessly since the last firmware and installing force ASPi 4.6

Hmmm, flawlessly, I like the sound of that. Could you clarify your post please.

Is it a 411@811 or a 411 and an 811?
Which firmware version?
And a link to "force ASPi4.6 please?
And a capachino, along with a piece of carrot cake.

Thanks

ps- I hope you dont jinx yourself by using the word flawlessly, if I said that something would surely go wrong.

Well my 411 worked perfectly from day 1 strait out of the box as a DVD burner for Data, with the software that was in the box and so did may other peoples 411, it’s a bit unfair to blame LiteOn if people try and mod there burners and something goes wrong or try and burn something LiteOn never clamed it will burn, or use other software to try and burn. The 411 was released as a DVD 4x + and - burner as it’s clearly written on the box, LiteOn never claimed, Guaranteed or printed on the box that there 411 will copy protected DVD movies , X Box or PS2 games. The reason they are releasing newer Firmware is to make there Burners more compatible with different and newer media. A simple rule is “If something is not broken don’t try and fix it and if it is send it back to the supplier”

Mine worked great out of the box too. Both the 411 and the 811. But they both never worked right after that Xmas firmware was installed then I had to uninstall it(LiteOn removed it from the website quickly). Ever since the most recent firmware-FSOJ for 411S and HSOp for 811S it is finally working as it should. I installed the new firmware and the forceASPI ( at the same time so I don’t know for sure if the force ASPI helped. I just know they are both working perfectly now

Originally posted by coathi
Well my 411 worked perfectly from day 1 strait out of the box as a DVD burner for Data, with the software that was in the box and so did may other peoples 411, it’s a bit unfair to blame LiteOn

Well mine and many others did not work straight out of the box, thats how we ended up here. When I got mine out of the box it would burn the +RW disk that came with it, and thats it. It could not even burn the +R that came with it, and still cannot burn +R to date. After the first Liteon firmware update it could burn -R but could not read the data it burnt, although it could be read on other drives. Now after much forum searching it can burn +RW and -R and read its own data, and the puzzle continues, although now my burner works, well sort of anyhow. Some says the flaws may be with a certain batch. Five of my friends purchased the same burner, two have had issues and three have had no problems. Is it the burners or the guy tapping the keys?:stuck_out_tongue:

Mick_ping2k Very sorry to hear you been having problems with your 411, if it’s not burning as it should + and - don’t put up with it, have you tried taking it back to the place you purchase it from ? unfortunately some times there is a bad or faulty batch with any product ( It’s been a continuing problem with Microsoft for the last 10 years ) most other companies will replace the product if it is faulty at no charge. Or find out who the LiteOn distributor is in your area and go and see them or write them a letter. If you don’t tell them you are not satisfied with there product then they can’t help.

Im going to stick with it for, and I dont plan to return it, if all else fails it still burns -R so if I cant resolve its issues Ill put it in my other PC and go buy a Pioneer. Thanks for your interest.

“if things never went wrong, we would never learn anything”