40x12x48 vs 48x12x48

I recently bought a 40x12x48 cdrw. However, I discovered that for $15.00 more I could have bought a 48x12x48. My question is, what is exactly the time difference between these two? If you could record a cd in 10 minutes with the one I have, how much time would it take for the one that’s a bit faster? Is it worth me taking the one I have back for the faster one? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

The one I have is a Digital Research. The one that I am thinking about swapping it for is a Memorex.

On this site they took a 40X LiteOn drive which wrote a 703MB file in 3mins 7 seconds, overclocked it to 48X and then it did a burn in 2min 38s! :eek:

I just bought a Liteon 40x12x48 drive because it was $35 Cdn less than the 48x model. IMHO, that was a good decision because the Safeburn limits the burning to 24x and I can burn up to 40x with it disabled. I’ve been buying Verbatim 16x media and it burns error free at 16x but has errors at higher speeds. If I had highly rated media then I could get faster write speeds out.
I can’t see any advantage to the 48X drive unless you are going to buy very expensive media.

I can’t see any advantage to the 48X drive unless you are going to buy very expensive media

I don’t know where you are at, but you’re so-called “very expensive” high speed media is no more than any other media in the USA. I get 40x/48x media for less than $.40 per disc, more like $.25 on sale.

Most 32X or 48X rated media can be burnt safely at 48X.

Most 32X or 48X rated media can be burnt safely at 48X.

I don’t know of a single 32x rated media that will produce quality burns at 48x. If you do, I wish you would share that with us.

how about Emtec 32 X ?

how about Emtec 32 X ?

How about it?

I can use Emtec 32X and burn safely at 48X. I also recommend Duraplus.

I can use Emtec 32X and burn safely at 48X.

How do you define “safely”? You mean that the drive does not explode? Or do you mean that the resulting CDR has no C2 read errors? What do you use to test the CD, and how des it compare to the same media burned at 32x?