40W->48W (VS02) Reads audio protected CD's

vbimport

Hi all.

I tried out several audio protected cd's with my 40w back when I got it in may. I couldn't read any of them. After overclocking to the 48W VS02 firmware, I tried the Celine Dion - A New Day Has Come. This has Key2audio protection. The CD was recognized and I could extract the files. Seems like the Liteon people are doing a great job. Any others that have tested protected audio cd's?

Yes mate it is a great burner !!

i read a report that

some cd`s in store with key2audio sometimes have the protection sometimes they dont !!!

it depents on the country i think !!!

the M&M show was the same !!!

You could have got a non protected cd :))))))))))
unless you did a clonyXXL test and it showed key2audio

if it did thats great news :):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This Celine Dion CD did have the protection. Used isobuster to extract the songs to wave file, and first is said something about wrong pvd etc. It did also have the famous words “Will not play on PC or Mac” :stuck_out_tongue: on the cover.

Don’t always believe ClonyXXL! Audio protections are hardware based protections. If you have a drive which can’t cope with the audio protection, ClonyXXL won’t be able to proper detect the used protection… better do a manual check to find out the protection.

Celine Dion is key2audio v3, this a more recent version of the protection which is more relaxed, compared to key2audio v2. Apparently Sony relaxed the protection somewhat in order to improve the compatibility.

What other protections did you test? How do you know which version of a protected audio cd you tested?

I haven’t studied the subject that much. All I know was that the CD was protected. I tried it with original firmware on my 40w. There were no go on several cd’s. Then I tried the Celine Dion cd after I upgraded to the 48w. I could read it this time. That’s why I started this thread, so that hopefully others could test. I can’t get hold of any of the protected cd’s right now, so I can’t do the tests now. But what I want out of this, is to see if lite-on has tweaked the firmware, so that it can also do protected audio cds.

I gonna give the VS02 a try…I’ve overclocked my 40125w too,but flashed it straight with the latest VS04…this 1 is again a no-go for protected audio…:Z

I can confirm Agressor’s statement…tried to rip Celine Dion’s cd with VS02 firmware and Isobuster…this time it worked!!:bow: :bigsmile:

Tried another audio cd with protection. This time it was Scooter - Push the beat for this jam [The second chapter]. I could rip it fine with isobuster and clonyxxl said key2audio. Still using VS02 firmware.

Does it work with VS06???

/Dyzan

Lite-On and protected audio:

CDS100: no
CDS200: no
Key2audio v1: ?
Key2audio v2: no
Key2audio v3: Yes

Most discs by sony music 2002 is key2audio version 3 and could be read by Lite-On.

LTR-32123S and newer should be able to do key2audio v3 with some programs.

That wasen’t the answer to my question.

I want to know if VS06 can do it?

Or is it only VS02 that can do it?

VS02?:
CDS100: Yes
CDS200: Yes
Key2audio v1: Yes
Key2audio v2: Yes

or have I wrong here?
Some body test! please!

VS06?:

/Dyzan

I haven’t tried to flash to VS06, but I’ll see if I can do it later tonight. Tried the latest Marc Anthony. It could not be read.

This is really intriguing if it is that Vs02 works to overcome these audio protections and Vs06 only does one. I don’t have any copy protected audio CD’s but the anser is important because then I would not mind buying some. I am boycotting them for now.:a :bigsmile:

Tried to flash to VS06 last night. The Marc Anthony cd was still a no go. The 2 Scooter CD’s I tried, could be read. But right now those are the only ones I can test.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Lite-On and protected audio:

Most discs by sony music 2002 is key2audio version 3 and could be read by Lite-On.

LTR-32123S and newer should be able to do key2audio v3 with some programs. [/B]

That is my results for these drives/firmwares:

LTR-32123S XS0U
LTR-40125S ZS0A
LTR-40125S ZS0J
LTR-48125W VS02
LTR-48125W VS06

Only CloneCD was able to rip the newer key2audio v3, EAC and feurio failed with all protections.

All these drives/firmware performed the same for me!
Was that answer enough for you Dyzan?

Thanks for that info.

/Dyzan