4082B only burning at 4x

vbimport

I have a 4082B burner and WinXP SP2. I use Nero 6 as my main tool and have been always able to burn DVD’s at 8x.

Yesterday I noticed I was only able to do it at 4x max. I’m using a new batch of Verbatim DVD-R (not RW) that are 16x guaranteed. Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Probably your burners firmware doesn’t recognise the new 16x media so will only burn at 4x. Try for a firmware update.

Thanks for that fast reply. I have been using the latest firmware for this drive (A208).

After reading some more posts here, I did some more digging. I used DVD identifier on these new discs and here is what I found:

** INFO : Drive = HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B - [FW A208] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW DVD-RAM
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
[B]Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 2770 kBps ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV][/B]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 2770 kBps ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

Now, this is the same info but for the old Verbatim batch I was using:

** INFO : Drive = HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B - [FW A208] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW DVD-RAM
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:MCC 02RG20 ]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
[B]Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV][/B]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

SO, if I am understanding this correctly, these new discs, 16x guaranteed, are media coded for 4x???

Two different medias.

Your earlier batch are 8x & recognised by the firmware. The new 16x batch is not recognised so the default burn speed & strategy is applied - 4x. It’s possible with Media Code Edit Speed Edit (MCSE) to modify the firmware so that the new media is recognised as 8x. I guess you’d find the strategy for MCC 02RG20 & changes it’s name to MCC 03RG20. Not sure what the burn would be like though.

Never done this myself though.

I just got the SAME problem!!!

I follow what the MCSE website guided,change the MEDIA NAME from"02RG20"to"03RG20",and set the WRITE SPEED only 8x,then save the flie,flash the modified firmware,reboot.

BUT,it dose not work,the 4082 still recognised this Verbatim 16x DVD-R as a 4x media.

Did I do something wrong???

There is a newer version of firmware for that drive, A209, available here :
http://121ware.com/support/download/005/gsa4082a209.exe

I am not sure if it will let you burn those 16x discs at 8x. The main problem is that the 4082B is a 8x writer. So chances are, it was never made to recognise 16x discs at all and it probably has no write strategies for 16x media. Since it has no 16x write strategies, it uese the default write strategy, which is 4x. That is why it burns those 16x discs at 4x. It does have a write strategy for 8x discs so it has no problems burning those MCC02RG20 (Verbatim 8x DVD-R) at 8x.

Don’t change the media name by manually renaming MCC02RG20 to MCC03RG20. Instead use DVDIdentifier to find out the media code of those MCC03RG30 discs. Then copy the whole media code block over and paste it into MCSE’s entry for MCC02RG20. The save and flash.

Well, I have tried that myself and it didn’t work either. The new A209 firmware doesn’t help this issue either, since upon MCSE inspection, it still shows no strategy for MCC03RG20.

Oh well, I have exhausted all my resources. :confused:

Me2,I try that way and still don’t work,must be something wrong!

Don’t give up!
The path can be find!

Can we suggest that:We can change the default strategy and force it to burn all the discs at 8X which the 4082B can not recognize?

I am not sure this is possible because MCSE might not list the default write strategy.

OMG…

There is a newer version of firmware for that drive, A209, available here :
http://121ware.com/support/download/005/gsa4082a209.exe

i got the exact same drive thats driving me crazy! i’ve installed that new firmware (thank you karanggumi btw) and i’ve bin able to burn at 8x now… now thats 2 burning speeds i am able to do: 4x n 8x but i have an image that requires burning at very slow speeds. someone help me plz. (the discs i’m using are ridisc Xtreme which say they can go up to 8x… shudn’t they be able to burn lower than 4x then?)

It was a good idea to start a new thread fr this question but please don’t crosspost. Putting your question in one of the forum threads is enough. It clutters the threads and makes things confusing for people to follow. It really isn’t necessary anyway since people reading this post will definitely read the other one.