4040B Experiences?

vbimport

Guys,

What do you think of your burn quality from the 4040B? Do you need to use good quality disks? (I use Maxell) Do you get highish PI/PO errors but acceptable even on good media?

Love,
Fairy

I don’t use good quality disc with no errors for my data, I use Bulkpaq bought from ebuyer.com. Firmware A303

I’ve been using the 4040 for a little while now and am completely satisfied. I have used KHypermedia and Memorex. I am still working to understand the PI/PO. I can get bad PI towards the end of a disc, but I do not see any problems when watching in my new Cyberhome 300 (standalone). I have upgraded the firmware to A302… I actually found this thread because I’m looking to update to A303.

I’m happy with mine, my coworker is very happy with his.

It’s available in the download section.

I have a box of Bulkpaq orange and find that they are ok for <4Gb burns but >4Gb and they tend to have major read errors. <4Gb the error rates are high but don’t prevent reading.

Personally I find Verbatim Printable DVD-R, Maxell DVD+R, Ricoh DVD+RW, and Maxell DVD-R to be very good on this drive. But cheap media is a hit or miss afair, for example good Princos and good Ritek G04s burn beautifully but bad ones are coaster material.

My summary, not a drive to risk cheap media unless you don’t mind risking low quality backups.

As for data backups, the DVD-RAM may be a slow format but combined with a compressing backup tool (I use the Nero one) it is fantastically reliable.

Cheers,
Fairy