401S Scanning weirdities

vbimport

Hello Liteonia,

I’m a visiting Plextorite and have a friend with a (somehow) new 401s. Here’s the problem:

So far he’s only burned CDs, but when he scans them with CDSpeed immediately after burning, it reports ridiculous C1/C2 error counts (peaks in the thousands for each); CDSpeed reports a Quality Score of zero. Now, if he waits 5 minutes and does the scan again, it reports a respectable ~1500 C1 errors total, no C2 errors, and a Quality Score of 94 to 98. :confused:

Anyone ever heard of this?

I suggested he use KProbe instead as it seems to be more “native” to Liteons than CDSpeed. He did that, but at some point, KProbe just starts saying error … error … error and the drive slows the scanning and starts making “strange noises”.

If it helps any, he’s using the factory-installed ES51 firmware, and I will be recommending that he switch to HS0K firmware. I also plan on reading up on such strange concepts as “Omnipatcher” and “EEPROMs” :smiley: but I’d appreciate any advice/insight I can pass along.

Thanks.

@ftp1020
Older Liteon’s (401,411,811) have been known to be very poor cd/dvd scanners in some cases. Your ‘friend’ (c’mon, confess…you are among friends…we won’t link this post to the Plextor forum:)) may have one. One way to tell is to try to play/read the disc that scanned with tons of errors in another drive/player, and if it plays fine, the scanning ability is bad. Pretty simple. Another way to tell is to scan the disc in another drive, but that is not as sure-fire as the ‘play/read’ test.

The FAQs is a good place to start with all-things-Liteon

:slight_smile:

No, seriously, it is a friend. I mean, I’d never buy a Li… er, umm, 401s! :bigsmile:

may have one. One way to tell is to try to play/read the disc that scanned with tons of errors in another drive/player, and if it plays fine, the scanning ability is bad. Pretty simple. Another way to tell is to scan the disc in another drive, but that is not as sure-fire as the ‘play/read’ test.

Unfortunately, he’s an “internet friend”, otherwise we could just stick his CDs in my burner and see what it says. What puzzles me is how he managed to find a “new” 401s … gotta be at least 2 years old, right?

The FAQs is a good place to start with all-things-Liteon

Thanks … I went through 64 screens of Liteon forum posts and that was one of the first URLs I referred him to.

Oh well, this vacation’s over, thanks again for the hospitality. Best of luck guys with your firmware issues; we’re experiencing the same thing over in Planet Plextor with the new PX716a model. Even the drive’s manufacturer calls the latest firmware for it “beta”. :Z