401S read errors

I am getting the following error in PowerDVD 4.0
“error 89020003 : DVD may be damaged” The first 10 chapters play OK then I get this error.
DVDs run fine in my home DVD player but I get this error on my PC with powerdvd. I checked my burned dvds with Dvdinfopro and they are full of read errors on the end of the movie.

I’m backing up my movies with dvdshink and coping them with nero 6 lastest version(23). I get the errors on movies that are 3.5GB and 4.5GB. Using 401s ES0G firmware. Media is Ricoh both Fiji and TDK RICOHJPN00 and RICOHJPN01.

Any ideas
Thank You

Same errors in PowerDVD for me to.
I have no problem viewing the disc, but if I scroll forward I get the same error after aprox. half the disc “DVD may be damaged”. However it plays very good in my stand-alone dvd.
Does’nt matter if the media contains few errors, same problem with them all.

Scan the offending disc with KProbe for read errors. Most likely you need to lower the burn speed or replace the media. The RICOHJPN01 is known to be quite variable in quality. RICOHJPN00 should be good stuff, but burn it at 2.4x. the 401 can burn it at 4x, but it’s really 2.4x media.
You don’t say what you are using to play the DVD on your PC, is it the 401?

It is playing on the 401 and I have tried 2.4X and still have the errors.
Thanks

i have gotten these errors before too… i have not gotten them recently… but now that im not the only one ill speak up
:bigsmile:

Best way to check your files is to use PowerDVD to play the movie on your HD from the ripped files.
Best way to check your disc is with KProbe .

And welcome to the forum davef99!

Originally posted by davef99
It is playing on the 401 and I have tried 2.4X and still have the errors.
Thanks

I downloaded the update to PowerDVD 4, but the error mess are still there, playing on both 401s and 411s. I would not be to worried though. My discs are just fine.

STCC_04

i suggest you add these problems to
this thread so we can get a updated firmware and get some of these problems fixed!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79669

Originally posted by siliconsoul
[B]STCC_04

i suggest you add these problems to
this thread so we can get a updated firmware and get some of these problems fixed!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79669 [/B]

I agree with you that a new firmware to 401s is needed, we have to keep up with progress, everything can be improved. But in this case I dont think playback-problem is a drive related issue that can be solved with a new firmware, my guess is software and perhaps media problem.
By the way…as I stated earlier I think (according to my KProbe-scans) that 401s writes better than 411s.

Kprobe of one movie