401S@811S help please!

I recently used Zebra mod 4 to make my 401S to 811S. I burned my first disc. I burned a movie using dvdxpress and the results were disappointing. I used a TDK +R 4X disc. Here are the results:

Scan it in the 811S.

The 166s always reports huge amounts of errors as opposed to the 811. IF my 166 shows a good error report it is a truly excellent disk. But even with MOST known good disks it shows at least 400 PI and 25 to 30 PO average.
If you want to use that drive just do a transfer rate scan, If it shows a smooth rising curve it’s a great disk.

Well I used DVD INFO PRO

I had no errors and the curve looked good raising up but towards the end there was some spikes going up and down.

I had 5.75 x read average and 7832 KBps data rate

Okay now I used the 811S as the reader, he is what I got - kinda the same results don’t you think.

OK I have 3 batches of Ricoh media here, one burns pretty well at 8x, the other two are lucky to do 6x and the one some times can’t even support 4x like it’s rated so that media is really variable in quality sometimes. Try a few more burns, and try other media, even if it is also Ricoh. The Firmware can have a huge impact on some of the marginal media too. I found HSOE worked best for most of mine, others like the newest HSOP and some have good luck with K.

burn the same media… since the drive learns from the media and updates it’s eeprom…

burn the disc from the same batch… one after the other… then scan on the 4th disk… you’ll get better scans…

Anyone had any success with the 401S@811S 8X burns using Ritek DVD+R 4.7G 8X Single Sided Write Once Media 50pk, Model “DRD+47-8X-RDSM”

The reason I ask is cause they are rated 8x and are at a good price. Let me know, thanks

Originally posted by dja2k
[B]Anyone had any success with the 401S@811S 8X burns using Ritek DVD+R 4.7G 8X Single Sided Write Once Media 50pk, Model “DRD+47-8X-RDSM”

The reason I ask is cause they are rated 8x and are at a good price. Let me know, thanks [/B]

burned at 8x, the ritek batch rated as 4x, i did!

i guess the 8x would really be up to it…

So then your saying you had good copies with the ritek 4x rated dvd+r disks burned at 8X. Hmmm… well maybe the 8x rated ones will be good too then. Although they have been saying that the 8X version are only 4X disks in a different package. So I don’t know what to think about Ritek.