401s @ 411s or 811s

vbimport

I have a liteon 401s dvd burner…I have been interested in clocking it over to the 411s or 811s.

My question is what would be the gains? thanks

With the right media you can shorten burn time by approx. 6 minutes. At this moment i’m in the middle of testing my overclocked 401s, and it looks quite good.

but what about - dvd’s i usually use my 401s to burn + dvdr never tried it with -dvdr

so if I over clock it will it also burn to -dvdr?

and where aer step by step instructions for a beginner?

Take a look here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=119893

You can also burn -R media at 4x, works ok on quality media.

You can modify your 401s into a 811s, using the eeprom utility from the codeguys. Also download the unscrambled HS0R firmware from their site (see sticky). Just read the steps carefully in the enclosed readme.

is there a sequence of steps similar to this http://www.xs4all.nl/~wcprins/411at811.htm
telling me how to do it step by step?

these look fine but i have never visited the site mentioned above so I would rather trust someone here…thanks

thanks

ok never mine i believe the site posted by jby have details thanks

now before i do this are there a lot of problems with this process or is it really better? adn now i will be able to use dvd-r correct? thanks

Last question is it easier or are there better results to just go one step up to the 411 instead of the 811? if so are there any directions for this? thansks

Backup your drives eeprom with the code guys eeprom tool first.
Going to 811 is just one click in the eeprom tool and flashing the 811 firmware.
Going to 411 is using omnipatcher to enable crossflash on the 411 firmware and flashing the modified 411 firmware.

thanks but which would be best?

Probably 811S firmware, since with it you can burn 4x DVD-R and 8x DVD+R.

i am trying to flash my 401s drive to 411 and i am stuck with the directions

i think i have all the neccessary tools but with

here are the instructions i have:

1. Download an unscrambled stock (i.e., original) firmware for the drive that you are flashing to from either our firmware page or dhc014’s firmware page.
  • Done that Down loaded the original for my 401s.
  1. Download the OmniPatcher and read the documentation carefully. For the best compatibility, please make sure that you have version 1.3.16 or newer.

*downloaded it.

Load the stock firmware with the OmniPatcher and apply the crossflashing patch (and while you’re at it, any other patches that you want). When you are done, save it.

*** Load stock firmware means load the original stock eeprom for my 401s right? if so did that***

???***Apply crossflashing…what crossflashing where do i get it how???

this is what i am stuck on as there was no mention of a crossflasher to get.

Flash your drive with the OmniPatcher-patched firmware that you have just created. If your patched firmware is a flasher (i.e., with a .exe extension), simply double-click on the patched firmware and follow the instructions. If your patched firmware is a raw binary firmware (i.e., with a .bin extension), please use LtnFW to flash your drive.
thanks

@ 95neongirl
You need to download the firmware for the drive you WANT yours to be(in your case you want 411 firmware). Then when OP asks to load a firmware , you select the 411 firmware you downloaded and saved. Then, in OP you select ‘fix dead …/enable cross-flashing’. That is the ‘apply cross-flash’ step. If it is greyed-out, it isn’t available or you don’t need it. I would also recommend selecting ‘apply recommended DVD media tweaks’ , ‘increase …read speed’ , ‘enable auto-bitsetting’. Then you save the firmware again(renaming is good). You are ready to flash your drive following the instructions at the end of your post. Make sure you back up your original firmware and eeprom before flashing.

ok I got it flashed and burned a dvd-r and it completed however when i want it to play via my pc it doesn’t.

usually when i pop in a dvd it automatically ask me what i want to do.

but now i have to click on the drive and it only explores the cd and the 2 folders are there the audio and video but it won’t play any suggestions?

you need to crossflash your drive with the eeprom utility.

Why do you start a new thread, just continue in the old http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=123794

All information you need is given in that thread.

ok I got it flashed and burned a dvd-r and it completed however when i want it to play via my pc it doesn’t.

usually when i pop in a dvd it automatically ask me what i want to do.

but now i have to click on the drive and it only explores the cd and the 2 folders are there the audio and video but it won’t play any suggestions?

sorry continuing in thread mentioned above!

Yes, if you use the [thread=112103]EEPROM Utility v2[/thread] crossflash feature on your drive, you will be able to use 4x1S firmware and 811S firmware, without having to apply any crossflash patches.

Make sure you are using good quality media, preferably DVD+R media. :wink:

Threads merged…