40125W and Nero problems

I have a 40125W and have overclocked it using the VS04 firmware. When using Nero 5.5.8.2 the last 10-20% of my disc and the second dot in Nero Speed scan disc or corrupt, any full 80min disc and nearly any brand of CDr gets corrupted this same way. But, when running Cdmate, fireburner, or discjuggler I receive absolutely no errors running at Max speed (cdmate lists 48x). The time is nearly identical to finish the CD also with Nero finishing by only a few seconds faster.

Now if I revert back to the original firmware and burn the same images with Nero at max speed I receive no errors.

I am starting to think that Nero is to blame and not the liteon or the firmware for my bad discs with overclocking. Because Cdmate finished only 3 seconds slower with absolutely no errors, I believe was around 2min and 55 seconds.

Anyone have any comments about this?

Clemente

p.s. What is the proper way to test my actual burn speed using different applications, I just can’t figure it out?

Originally posted by clementehills
I have a 40125W and have overclocked it using the VS04 firmware. When using Nero 5.5.8.2 the last 10-20% of my disc and the second dot in Nero Speed scan disc or corrupt, any full 80min disc and nearly any brand of CDr gets corrupted this same way. But, when running Cdmate, fireburner, or discjuggler I receive absolutely no errors running at Max speed (cdmate lists 48x). The time is nearly identical to finish the CD also with Nero finishing by only a few seconds faster.

How many disks have you burnt with the new firmware to make this asessment? It may just be bad media or media variance.

[B]Now if I revert back to the original firmware and burn the same images with Nero at max speed I receive no errors.

I am starting to think that Nero is to blame and not the liteon or the firmware for my bad discs with overclocking. Because Cdmate finished only 3 seconds slower with absolutely no errors, I believe was around 2min and 55 seconds.

Anyone have any comments about this?

Clemente[/B]

Notwhithstanding my preceding remark, this version of Nero may not like to work with your overclocked drive. This can and does happen on occasion (for example, Norton Ghost hates the P-CAVed Lite-ON). I have read in another post by Alejandra that the latest Nero seems to have some kind of a bug with the Lite-ONs and the solution was to replace a DLL from one of the the previous versions… I’ll have to make a seach on that… [edit](corrected and credited to the right person! Thanks, Alejandra! BTW, could you send me that wnaspi32.dll as well? Thanks!)[/edit]

p.s. What is the proper way to test my actual burn speed using different applications, I just can’t figure it out?

Just time it! Some apps will give you a readout of the actual speed (like CloneCD, albeit not very accurately) but the only app that will give you a graph of the actual speed AFAIK is CD-Speed during a simulated transfer test.

HTH…

83bj60…with your comments that Nero may not like these o/ced drives…does that mean the errors are real or just a software glitch that is inaccurate…

do you know what drives need to be replaced…is it a problem with an O/Ced drive or the 48125W not properly being supported by the writing software???

So the question really in my mind is Nero the problem…creating a bad burn or is the Nero CD Speed scandisc…indicating there are errors when there really is not

or is it hardware issue…??

I have used WinOnCD 5 and Clonecd 4 and found less errors overall and much better quality writes with DAO(in Nero/winoncd/clonecd) than TAO esp with Nero

I wonder if you hit the nai lo nthe head and the software needs to be optimized to write with these high speed drives…

Originally posted by nealh
[B]83bj60…with your comments that Nero may not like these o/ced drives…does that mean the errors are real or just a software glitch that is inaccurate…

do you know what drives need to be replaced…is it a problem with an O/Ced drive or the 48125W not properly being supported by the writing software???

So the question really in my mind is Nero the problem…creating a bad burn or is the Nero CD Speed scandisc…indicating there are errors when there really is not

or is it hardware issue…??[/b]

I believe CDSpeed is working fine indicating the errors (yes, the errors usualy never appear at exactly the same place in CD Speed and also give different results based on what is used to read the disk! on my LTD-163, there are usually more errors shown, and when the drive has been used more or when the disk has been tested more often, as it gets hot, the errors tend to increase as well!).

In any case it looks like the end-of-disk lockup in Nero may indeed be caused by Nero!

[b]

I have used WinOnCD 5 and Clonecd 4 and found less errors overall and much better quality writes with DAO(in Nero/winoncd/clonecd) than TAO esp with Nero

I wonder if you hit the nai lo nthe head and the software needs to be optimized to write with these high speed drives… [/B]

That’s what the facts reported seem to indicate!..

Further information…

The discs I am testing all appear to be “Phthalocyanine”. I don’t know much about media, but I have several different brands 8 different brands to be exact. All of them purchased within the last month or so. I thought at first the nero problem was bad media but I am EXTREMELY sure now that the problem is the Nero Software.

Nero is corrupting the second byte (square) in NeroCD surface scan each time. And corrupting the end of disc on a regular basis.

I have no problems in using the OC’d drive with any other burning software. I would think with Ahead’s relationship with Liteon there software would be the best.

I am going to try VS06 and see if it gets any better!

Clemente

Just did a test burning a 78:50 min cue image using Nero + DAO on my Imation 24x (CMC Magnetics) media at 32x.

Used burner (o/c 48125W) to check for scandisc errors = 2 damaged blocks
Used cdrom (Plextor 40x Ultraplex) = 1 damage block

Previously, if I tried other burning programs like cdrwin/fantom cd both will usually generate quite a massive:( amount of damaged sectors, especially when the data capacity is approaching 79 mins.

I was quite pleased with the results. Using vs02 firmware.

Hi there, I just bought a Liteon 40125W (ws03) and after a week and a half, I OC’ed it to the 48125W(vs04, then to vs06-via windows firmware upgrade). But because of concerns with burn quality I went back to the original firmware (ws03).

My Problem is, I never really had a chance to test out my burner but now that I do and I burn things like mp3s or any data at all there are always verification errors (@40x) - 8 burns. But now I started to use cdrws @12x and there are still verification errors.

I’ve always been using Nero 5.5.8.2 and went back to Nero 5.5.7.8 and no difference. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong here? Thanks

Forgot to ask: Anyone else having verification errors w/nero while burning data from their hdd’s with their Liteon 40125W?

Originally posted by jord
[B]Hi there, I just bought a Liteon 40125W (ws03) and after a week and a half, I OC’ed it to the 48125W(vs04, then to vs06-via windows firmware upgrade). But because of concerns with burn quality I went back to the original firmware (ws03).

My Problem is, I never really had a chance to test out my burner but now that I do and I burn things like mp3s or any data at all there are always verification errors (@40x) - 8 burns. But now I started to use cdrws @12x and there are still verification errors.

I’ve always been using Nero 5.5.8.2 and went back to Nero 5.5.7.8 and no difference. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong here? Thanks

Forgot to ask: Anyone else having verification errors w/nero while burning data from their hdd’s with their Liteon 40125W? [/B]

Ok Nevermind, I found the problem -> Just did some data verifications with CDR-Verifier (from Arrowkey) with a cd I did with my Liteon 24x and a duplicate I just made now with the Liteon 40125W.

Liteon LTD163D: both tested to be exact duplicates in this device.
Liteon 40125W: tested both in this device but duplicate failed.

Switched the Data Cables for the dvdrom and burner and did the same test with the burner and it passed. So in this case it seems to be a bad Data Cable.

Originally posted by 83bj60

I believe CDSpeed is working fine indicating the errors (yes, the errors usualy never appear at exactly the same place in CD Speed and also give different results based on what is used to read the disk!

Also wich FW had th drive when you use CD Speed’s CD Quality Check. I noticed than ZS0A reports no errors with burned disks with VS0x FW and viceversa VS0x FW reports errors even with media burned with ZS0x FW.

:rolleyes:

Anyone else have this setup?

Nero 5.5.8.2
CMC 24X to 48X Phthalocyanine Discs
LTR-40125W OC’d to VS04 or VS06

I believe that Nero has a problem with these firmwares and CMC Phythalocyanine CDrs.

But CDmate and Discjuggler will burn at 48x with these discs with no errors.

Nero produces several unreadable sectors as well as 10-20% damaged sectors in NeroCDspeed.

I have a feeling that many people who are having problems with OC’d drives are using this same scenario. I can’t get anything else to go wrong.

Does this problem exist on the 48125W also?

Clemente

Originally posted by Alejandra
[B]

Also wich FW had th drive when you use CD Speed’s CD Quality Check. I noticed than ZS0A reports no errors with burned disks with VS0x FW and viceversa VS0x FW reports errors even with media burned with ZS0x FW.

:rolleyes: [/B]

Welcome to the elite club of CD-Burner Flashers, where we flash our drives more often than we burn :bigsmile:

i am trying to put data on a DVD, using nero, but it keeps giving me ’ cant perform end-of-disk at once. then, when i use a rewritable DVD, nothng goes wrong and the job gets done. can someone tell me how to fix this problem.