40 licks on 2 cds?

I tried to burn the Rolling stones 40 licks and on the second cd the last song only halfway fits. I am using 80 min cds and overburning but still it is not enough room. has anyone else tried to burn this? Any suggestions on what I might do to make them all fit?:confused:

Remove the 2 second gaps, some (or maybe most) burning software put a 2 second gap between tracks, 20 tracks x 2 seconds = 40 seconds of extra silence

scum1 and JoeSoap.:cool: What a combination.:wink: Do you guys cancel each other out?:bigsmile:

According to the information at freedb.org, the total time of disc 2 of 40 Licks is 79:10 minutes.

In other words, this should easily fit on an 80 minute disc without overburning. You should be able to make an exact copy of the disc. Some older burners such as the HP 8100 could only burn up to about 78:30 minutes (using standard firmware) on an 80 minute disc.

What kind of burner are you using?

I am using either my new yamaha 48x or my liteon 24 x so it should not be the burner. I was just curious if anyone else had this problem. It should fit I know. thanks!

You shouldn’t have to remove any “gaps” if you are recording in DAO (disc at once) mode. You should not be recording these discs in TAO (track at once), but DAO mode.

No need to be like that Inertia, its a common mistake for newbies using nero or roxio to leave the default 2 second gaps in , and then ask; why wont this fit on an 80 minute disc?

your assuming that I actually have the cds. I actually have the mp3’s from a friend. Just copying the disc would be easy. This is the first time I have ever had this problem though. I’ve burned loads of cds but never had to remove the gaps before. If you noticed my cdrw’s you should see I’m not a total newbie:eek:

Didnt Mean any offence by that, i guessed you were using mp3’s which is why the length could be slightly more than the original, coupled with the extra 2 seconds per track would take it over 80 minutes.

Originally posted by JoeSoap
No need to be like that Inertia

No need to be like [i]what[/i]???:confused:

its a common mistake for newbies using nero or roxio to leave the default 2 second gaps in , and then ask; why wont this fit on an 80 minute disc?

The so-called “default” 2 second gap is a result of TAO recording.

It’s a common mistake for people who don’t understand the “default 2 second gaps” to make statements like this. TAO doesn’t add a extra 2 second gap each time the laser turns off, it keeps the same timings and forces a gap whether a pause was intended or not. If a recording had a 2 second pause between tracks, the TAO gap won’t be noticeable. If the tracks were intended to flow together witout interruption, TAO will force the annoying 2 second gap right in the middle of the music flow. If a drive supports variable gap TAO and the pauses between tracks are reduced or removed, the original recording is being changed to a constricted copy more likely to have audible artifacts.

If “newbies” were simply advised to record audio in DAO (instead of trying to edit out gaps), there would be no “issue” since DAO doesn’t add any time to a recording, but exactly reproduces it. Virtually all burning software and burners support DAO.

By design, depending on the source material and musical flow, DAO may or may not have a pause between tracks. TAO forces the laser to be turned off for 2 seconds between tracks, which can cause audible clicks. Even if a recorder supports variable gap TAO recording and the “gap” is reduced to 0, it is still likely to leave an audible click because the “0” is 2 sectors (2/75th’s sec.). DAO leaves the laser turned on so there is nothing to induce a click between tracks.

scum1,
I’m glad you got around to telling us you are recording from MP3’s. :cool:

As you probably know, MP3’s vary widely in their quality and exactness to the original track. Something appears to be changing the overall length of disc 2 to an excessive length. This is what I would suggest:

1. Extract each MP3 track to a wave file and compare the timing of the track to the published track timings in the freedb.org link. Edit out any soundless passages until the WAV track is the same time as the original track.

2. Record the edited tracks with a total time of about 79:10 from your hard drive in DAO mode. This should produce a copy from the MP3’s with the same timing as the original CD without any clicks between tracks.:wink:

Inertia, for gods sake why do you make things so complicated, If you make an audio cd from mp3,s using nero and default settings in DAO you WILL have an extra 2 second added per track. Result a cd with 79 minutes + will go over 80 minutes (depending on no. of tracks). And as for telling you he was using mp3, that should have been obvious, or he wouldnt have had the problem in the first place.

JoepSoap you can just give your opinion without making a fuss about Inertia’s methods. Let scumm decide what he prefers.

:slight_smile: Glad I got such a Vigorous discussion going. I’ll try what was suggested. I was not aware that there might be extra space in mp3’s. I been converting on the fly but I’ll convert to wave this time and see is there is some trimming I can do before burning. It’s strange that I’ve never run into this problem before. I’ve burnt a lot of audio cds and this is the first. Thanks!

JoeSoap has a point. Nero and Feurio add 2 seconds between tracks by default any time a compilation is made. The 2 seconds of silence must then be manually removed or an extra 2 seconds of silence will be inserted between every track, whether MP3 or WAV. This a “feature” of the software, not of any recording necessity. In my opinion, the value of this “feature” is questionable and at least it should not be enabled by default.

Whether or not an extra 2 second gap is inserted between audio tracks depends on the software. Easy CD Creator, WinOnCD, and RecordNow Max all record the same track timings as the original MP3 or WAV file without adding extra time. DiscJuggler appears to add an extra 2 seconds.

Even if an extra 2 seconds per track is added by Nero @ 20 tracks x 2 seconds = 40 seconds. The original 79:10 + 00:40 = 79:50, which should still fit on an 80 minute disc (not to mention overburning).

So, scum1, if you are using Nero and have converted the MP3 files to WAV, you will still have to manually remove the extra 2 seconds of silence between tracks inserted by Nero. To me this is just a PIA. This is why I use Easy CD Creator for audio compilations. I don’t have to futz around with any unnecessary settings and I can burn DAO audio compilations with CD Text on the fly (Nero can’t).

Feurio add 2 seconds between tracks by default any time a compilation is made.

I don’t have to futz around with any unnecessary settings and I can burn DAO audio compilations with CD Text on the fly (Nero can’t).

Feurio’s default is the last setting you have used.
Once you select “do not insert pauses”, the next time that will be the setting.

When Feurio is installed, you are right: 2 seconds pauses is the default… but not any more once changed.

Doesn’t Nero write CD-Text on the fly even with “read subchannels enabled”? That would be another reason for me to say that Nero is a bit poor.

By the way… Feurio can write CD-Text on the fly, either if the source has CD-Text, or if the source is in the CD-Manager database (with titles entered manually or by CDDB).

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
JoepSoap you can just give your opinion without making a fuss about Inertia’s methods. Let scumm decide what he prefers.

Point taken, just over reacted to this comment by inertia, which i thought was an insult, now i realise it was a joke - duh

“scum1 and JoeSoap. What a combination. Do you guys cancel each other out?”

JoeSoap,
I was just amused by the conjunction of Soap and Scum which seemed to me to be a very funny coincidence. :bigsmile:

I don’t know either of you guys and there definitely was no insult intended. Quite the contrary, I was trying to start things on a light and friendly note. :slight_smile: