4 SATA dvd Burners questions

hi im doing research to help build a a pc for a friend and im not quite sure if this is at all posibble
i have read and searched this great forum but have not quite found an answer to my spesific question. my Friend need to have a rig for duplicating dvd’s (weddings and birthdays) so he needs a at least 4 DVD burners to burn a single ISO file to.
we have purchased so far
(coolermaster staker 830)
power supply (PCPower&Cooling 1Kw sr)
Fans 7 (panaflo 114cfm)

Now we were wondering if at all posible to install 4 dvd burners (SATA) and not have a major performance hit we also are planning to buy 4 Raptos and set them all on raid 0 also they are SATA and a quad core processor so myquestion really is:

1. is it possible to have 4 dvd burners?
    2.will there be a performance hit (is this all really woth it )
    3 will Nero hadle this configuration? if not witch?
    4.should we think on adding a SATA controller? if so witch?
    5.will the 4 raptors be able to output the required data transfer requirements (MBPS) for the burners?

although we reather build this rig than buy an additional dvd duplicator becouse work area is limited will we just be better off buying a duplicator and why?
we appreceate your imput on this matter Thanks in advance

Hi and Welcome!

Buy a duplicator unit.

1. is it possible to have 4 dvd burners?
    Yes. Some users here have 10 drives installed.

2.will there be a performance hit
Normally yes. Maybe there is a configuration that will improve things, but I wouldn’t expect much.

3 will Nero hadle this configuration? if not witch?
Nero supports a limited number of writers to be used simultaneously. There is a Nero version that supports using more writers. At the moment, I can’t find the link, so you might ask the people at nero.com

4.should we think on adding a SATA controller? if so witch?
DVD writers shall not be connected to SATA controllers. Depending on your mainboard chipset and BIOS, you’ll need to configure the SATA ports properly to non-RAID mode. Silicon Image based SATA controllers can be flashed to non-RAID firmware and are often recommended to be used with ODD.

5.will the 4 raptors be able to output the required data transfer requirements (MBPS) for the burners?
It’s not only the drives, but it’s also the controller and system setup that is responsible for the speed of data transfer. Having only one image that shall be written to CD/DVD, will cause concurrent file access and slowdown the burning process.

although we reather build this rig than buy an additional dvd duplicator becouse work area is limited will we just be better off buying a duplicator and why?
Duplicators are designed for this job. You’ll save much time with configuring the system, compared to the “4 single drives” solution. Also, you don’t need to run 4 Raptors in RAID configuration. A simple, standard desktop HDD should be capable to provide enough data.

Michael

Hi Michael thnaks for your prompt response and for taking the time to answer my questions.
since we are building this rig we were hoping to save some room becouse my friends office is a samall 8X6 room that allready has 2 computers and a small digital camera and lightbox settup, and also save some cash on just having to buy 3 extra burners (about 80$)instead of a duplicator unit witch i have seen on a range from 450$-to upwards of 1000$
now i have seen some dvd duplicators that mention having a Hard disk drive but wont specify if they can burn from ISO files and i know he performs some other services like picture cd and DVD and transfering VHS to dvd but i have to ask him what spesific formats the project end up in like .avi or .wmv

i found this duplicator but i am not sure of what features it provides or if it’s the kind of solution we need http://www.meritline.com/16x-dvd-duplicator-nec-nd-3520a-1-4.html would you or anyone have a idea weather this would work or is there a special feature i am suposed to look for?
we are ok with a small performance hit like say spending an hour and a half on burning 4 copies instead of one hour that it currently takes him now to burn one copy is this a realistic assumption or estimate or is there no telling if the system can or will even hadle the payload? how would this compare to the duplicator? what can we expect from a DVD duplicator? like time to complete the burn,weather or not its prone to errors just like the pc counterpart. what type of additional features not aveilable to the pc solution if any? will it accept any type of media? will it be just as ot better compatible with standalone dvd players? and any other precoutions we should be aware of before taking the plunge.
sorry for so many questions we just want to make the most informed decision possible and thanks once more for your time and willingnes to help. :smiley:
*eddit spelling * sorry English is not my native language :o

Hi, sorry for the late answer, but somehow I missed this thread :o

I would prefer preparing ISO images before burning them. This will save overall system load.

i found this duplicator but i am not sure of what features it provides or if it’s the kind of solution we need http://www.meritline.com/16x-dvd-duplicator-nec-nd-3520a-1-4.html would you or anyone have a idea weather this would work or is there a special feature i am suposed to look for?
I am not familiar with duplicator units, but maybe there is a chance you can find a manual for this unit. Or ask the vendor or manufacturer. My simple assumption about duplicators is, it is accessed as one unit from the burning application. The unit cares about providing the data to the drives installed.

we are ok with a small performance hit like say spending an hour and a half on burning 4 copies instead of one hour that it currently takes him now to burn one copy is this a realistic assumption or estimate or is there no telling if the system can or will even hadle the payload?
Provided, an ISO image exists, the plain burn process shouldn’t take any longer than about 8 minutes. 8x speed is safe with quality media and recent DVD writers.
If you were happy to do 4 copies within an hour, there is no special hardware needed, not even HDDs in RAID configuration. A simple desktop HDD would be okay. Have two drives and let one cool down during the use of the other.

An advanced “amateur” setup would be, a system HDD and two data HDDs (not in RAID config). 2 or 3-4 DVD writers (2 in use, 2 in “standby”, see above). The image to be burned is stored on both data HDDs. If it is possible to run two processes of the burning software, then you can create your copies independently, 2 within 8 minutes should be feasible (but has to be tried, since I am not sure if that works.)

sorry English is not my native language :o
Mine neither :slight_smile:

Michael