4 In 1 Movies?

vbimport

Someone lent me a copy and he has 4 movies in 1 DVD,the quality was a bit OK,now i wanted to ask how do they do it?

I would appreciate the answer

Did you ask the someone who lent you the copy?

Probably encoded at Half D1, with everything but one AC3 track stripped out. If the movies weren’t too long. Or maybe even VCD rez, but I wouldn’t call that okay. :wink: [Compliant DVD resolutions: 720x480/576, 704x480/576, 352x480/576 (half D1), and 352x240/288 (VCD)].

Most likely removed all the menus; extracted the video and audio components; converted the video with low bitrate; converted the audio to mp3; reassembled them and created a navigation menu with a DVD authoring package.

Would produce dreadful quality when compared to the original and is only likely used for piracy as this would be useless as a backup.

Nicely said. :iagree:

I’ve actually had good results with a 3 hour 20 minute film on one DVD5 (apocalypse now redux) and also a couple other +3 hour films (godfather 1 and 3), on a 32" televison, it still looks pretty good (using Recode). I know I should have split the movie to two disks, but I tried it for experiment sake. Anyone have an opinion on how many hours of video you can squeeze (onto DVD5) and still have good results, assuming you had a better television? Of course, I mean wide-aspect ratio films, since the letterboxing means less content per frame to compress… I’m afraid I won’t want to watch many of my compressed backups once I finally buy a better TV. A bit off topic… but maybe he was just had 4 90-minute flicks?

Sorry, just not possible to fit on a DVD5 6 hours at full D1 and be even remotely “okay”. That would mean a video bitrate around 1,500 kbits/s, barely more than VCD standard. (You could squeeze out only slightly more at the expense of the audio). Just try to spread that low a video bitrate out using a resolution 4 times larger- no way, no how. If you have a small TV and an uncritical eye, half D1 might be just watchable. Or else we’re not talking about 6 hours, but considerably less.

Not to be pedantic, but MP2 is DVD standard (only in PAL-land, although most NTSC players will accept it) , not MP3. Otherwise, AC3 is it.

Hey, don’t believe me, try it. Reauthor 6 hours worth in DVDShrink. Bleh. Or save with no compression and re-encode with DVDRebuilder. Still bad. Then try DVDRB at half D1. Marginal.

JMHO. :wink:

Are you all that young that don’t remember the VHS quality? I saw more than 1000 movies in that format. I tried to put 3 movies in 1 DVD just for fun (Taxi 1, Taxi 2, Taxi 3) and the quality that came out was much better than the 1000 movies I saw in the good all days…I agree that the quality is worst than original…its suposed to be…but still enjoyble to watch. I recomend 3 in 1. 4 in 1 is in the margin of bad quality but if you have good sources, miracles can happen…

Nah, I’m an old coot. :wink: VHS is slightly better than VCD, not great, not too terrible. I’m talking bitrate, resolution, and total running time versus available storage space.

I don’t mean to offend, nor do I wish to start an argument. Especially since the OP didn’t precisely state the total running time, and we have no way of knowing what he considers “okay”. So it’s moot, but I’m tempted to ask what some of you guys are smoking so I can get some too. Kidding. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just for funsies, right now I’m doing Chamber of Secrets and ROTK on one disc at 720x480, 6 hours, 2 minutes. I’ll have to run it twice through DVDShrink to make it fit. I expect I’ll get nauseous watching it. :wink:

YMMV and all that.

All right, I had a look and am willing to concede it’s watchable if you aren’t at all critical. So I apologise. There. :slight_smile:

But it really sucks. Read on, so I can ruin it for you next time you view something like this. Or a looong KDVD. :wink:

-Clarity suffers, particularly in the background.
-Colors are no longer true. Bright scenes get washed out somewhat, for instance.
-Motion becomes subtly unnatural.
-Fuzzy edges.
-Macroblocks? Less than you’d expect. It’s well-known DVDShrink softens slightly, even at default. So where there would be blocking, it gets kinda muddy instead. When DVDShrink gets multiple passes at something, it pretty much kills macroblocks.

BTW, it took THREE passes to do. One of my players wouldn’t accept it. Not horrible on a 25" TV except up close. No nausea, just a slight eyestrain headache. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooops. Ok, so it took me a while to realize I meant “four forty-five minute flicks”. Sorry, but my math sort of sucks. Did I actually think 4x90 minutes = 3 hours? Yes, I did. Dumbass.

Did I say mp3 on a DVD? Bugger. I got carried away thinking of XviD mpeg4 et al. Perhaps Dolby Digital 2 then. :wink:

[SHRUG] Eh, that’s nothing. I once advised a guy to use AC3 on a VCD. Won’t work no matter what the sampling rate. I was thinking this: author an m1v and ac3 (at 48kbs) to DVD, which will work. Brain wasn’t fully engaged.

And how come nobody jumped me about DVD spec for audio? As in: DD (Dolby Digital)/AC3, DTS, PCM and MPEG-1 Layer 2. One audio track must have MP2, AC3 or PCM, blah, blah. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, enough off topic. To the original poster, if you want to try this, here’s one way to do it: Compile all your movies using reauthor function in DVDShrink and kill all audio except one AC3 track (the one highest in the list) for each movie you add. Save with no compression. Open the compilation in DVDRebuilder and re-encode at half D1.