4 IDE Burners with Nero

vbimport

hi,
first of all comp. config.:
Cel 1,7GHz, MB: ASUS P4B, RAM:768MB, HDD: Maxtor60Gb 5400rpm, CD-RW: 3x Asus401248 +1x Asus241040, PCI IDE Cont.: Promise Ultra100TX, OS: Win2000 Prof. SP2

MB IDE cont. Primary: master- Asus401248, slave - Asus241040
MB IDE cont. Sec. : master- Asus401248, slave - Asus401248
PCI IDE Primary : Maxtor60Gb

Problem:
Writing multiple CDs on this configuration is possible at 16x. Burning at higher speeds produces a lot of underruns, so it’s useless. But, ocassionaly at 16x underrun took place too (due to using modem, other programs etc.).
Is there any way to force Nero or Win or… to synchronize data flow when underrun occures?
Explanition: when underrun happens on one burner it affect all others. Underuns continue to happen until process is finished.
Is there any kind of tweak to force unaffected burners to “wait” correction of the error and then to continue burning alltogether like nothing happened? The catch is to avoid loop underruns.
Sorry about English. If I missed to state any crucial info please note it!
Tnx

If you’re burning to all drives at once from the same instance of Nero, the slowest drive sets the speed. But in order to do this you must have the expensive version of Nero that allows burning to more than 2 drives. If you’re burning from more than one instance of Nero, the speed will be limited by your HD and the material you are burning. Your Maxtor is a bit slow to provide data to multiple burn processes at once. My WD Caviar 80 with 8MB cache can just barely handle 3 processes at 32x.
Your IDE drivers and MB also greatly affect how the system handles the load. Of course, as the burn(s) progresses, the data rate increases. One method I use is to stagger the burns from multiple processes, so that one is at max speed (near the end of the disc), while the other is starting the burn. This lowers the total data rate for both burns. Burning to both drives from one instance is different because it’s the same data stream going to both drives.
Also note that the only way you will be able to burn to 2 drives on the same channel at the same time is a simultaneous burn of the same data from one instance of Nero.
Once the underrun occurs, there is no way to avoid the “see-saw” pattern of buffer fills and empying, alternating between drives, it’s just a fact of life with Nero and drives. The drives force a slower burn speed in response to the under-run, not Nero. Nero is just trying to cope with it. As each drive experiences the under-run, it causes the pause on the IDE channel that affects both drives.
Your best option is to update IDE drivers or try different drivers, and get a faster HD, and limit burning to one drive on each channel at the same time.

tnx 4 express answer!

Your Maxtor is a bit slow to provide data to multiple burn processes at once

It handles data flow for 16x at 4 burners at once. I didn’t expect even this result. Burn process is 6min.07sec. long for 79:57:04 (798MB) disc.

One method I use is to stagger the burns from multiple processes, so that one is at max speed (near the end of the disc), while the other is starting the burn.

I’ve tried this method a long time ago. The problem was 30sec. initializing of burning discs. Total time used for burning at 24x (remember the slowest burner is 24x)with 2 set of burners was same as 16x burning with 4 burners.

Once the underrun occurs, there is no way to avoid the “see-saw” pattern of buffer fills and empying

I was afraid of this.

I’ve tried many combinations. The best was this one. Promise Ultra100TX manages only one IRQ. The result is IRQ sharing for both IDE channels mounted on it. So, HDD is hooked to it for this reason alone.
Maybe someone can recommend IDE drivers. Current set is:

• Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller version 1.1.1.2076 (dated 25.10.2001) in conjuction with Intel Application Accelerator V.1.0.2052.0
  • Win2000 Promise Ultra TX2 IDE Controller V.2.0.0.29 (not dated)

tnx again

I was referring to the MB IDE drivers, not the card.

you have two drives on one ide channel. you should only use 1 drive on each channel. You cant read or write too both drives on the same channel at the same time. To use all four drives at the same time you would need scsi drives or 4 seperate ide controllers. With a cd drive connected too each one and set as master like in a Raid setup.

You cant read or write too both drives on the same channel at the same time.

Actually, you can if you use the Nero multiple drive function where you are writing the same data to bothe drives at the same time. works just fine, I’ve done it at speeds up to 48x to both drives.