4.0.1.2. crashes about 500+ MB into a DVD to PSP conversion?

I’ve read similiar posts regarding this bug, but no solution so far…

I’ve tried many dedicated troubleshooting steps recently, including all the “basics” (remove/delete/reinstall, etc…) and most of the tips I gathered from other posts regarding the same error…

Tonight, I decided to use my Laptop as a “test” machine, and started by installing the “trial” version of DVDFab 4.0.1.2…

Once installed, I grabbed Sin City, and popped it in…I fired up DVDFab, set the process to encode to PSP, default settings…

Everything started well…although, the laptop is only a 1.6GHz, P4, with 1GB DRAM, so I expected to wait about 3 hours…

Unfortunately, right at 2/3 complete, I received the “Windows has encounted an error” report and it wanted me to submit the log…

This is the EXACT type of error I’m getting on my desktop when trying to encode to PSP mobile format…

What are the chances I’d have 2 machines that are incompatible with DVDFab process to encode to PSP mobile format?..

I’ve got 4 more computers hooked up to my home network, so I guess I could continue installing DVDFab on each and trying to encode Sin City into PSP mobile format, until one finally works?.. :wink:

Anyone have any suggestions to help me with this problem?

DVDFab is a GREAT product, and I know there must be a solution out there somewhere…

Thanks in advance!

hi,

Which profile is your using ?

and Only Sin City have this problem or other DVD ?

bogspores: My laptop does the exact same thing on Sin City. I got my copy out to see if I could duplicate the error and sure enough! Everything works fine on the desktop, but will not work on the notebook. I get the same error you do and will lock up if I retry.
Backup to HD on the laptop works fine, but conversion to PSP won’t!

This seems to be any DVD I try.

[quote=bogspores;1934138]I’ve read similiar …edited for space…Unfortunately, right at 2/3 complete, I received the “Windows has encounted an error” report and it wanted me to submit the log…[/quote] Is this the small Windows error reporting box or the (larger) DVDFab Crash Report? I don’t have a PSP, but I tried a conversion to that format with the first 4 chapters of Ocean’s 13 that worked fine (no crash and played on PC using VLC). I did this from a Customize mode rip from disc to HDD, then used the HDD as Source for the conversion. I will try it again using the full movie.

While I was investigating this issue I discovered that 4.0.1.2 did not overwrite the preceding version, both were installed. I uninstalled both versions completely through control panel, rebooted and reinstalled 4.0.1.2, rebooted and everything works now. I don’t know why this should have been an issue if it really was? It could have just been a hinky install, but it works fine converting Sin City to PSP on the laptop now. You might try this if you’re having this problem.

This may be related to the title you are trying to copy or a system issue. The current version of DVDFab (4.0.1.2) worked fine on the entire Oceans 13 movie, using all PSP profile defaults. Have you tried downloading and re-installing DVDFab? There was an update to 4.0.1.2 to fix a crash problem I think the day after it was released.

[QUOTE=signals;1934522]This may be related to the title you are trying to copy or a system issue. The current version of DVDFab (4.0.1.2) worked fine on the entire Oceans 13 movie, using all PSP profile defaults. Have you tried downloading and re-installing DVDFab? [B]There was an update to 4.0.1.2 to fix a crash problem I think the day after it was released.[/B][/QUOTE]

That could be it because I downloaded 4.0.1.2 this morning after the uninstall. I think you are on the right track as usual signals.

Steve

Glad it is working for you now:).

[B]90312[/B], glad to hear you got it working!..and thanks for your tips to help me out!..

[B]Ting[/B], I’m using the profile for PSP ver 3.30 firmware…and I’m trying to encode STARWARS III right now, with the same settings to try and duplicate the error…

[B]Signals[/B], thanks also for all the tips/suggestions…Please don’t give up on me yet, since I haven’t gotten past my error yet…

The error screen is the standard “Windows has encounted an error…blah blah, blah…do you want to submit an error report”

On Sin City, on both my desktop and laptop, the error occurs approximately 2/3’s or about 550MB into the process before the crash…

The laptop version of DVDFab is the FRESH 4.0.1.2. that I downloaded and installed using the 30-day trial option…

Hi bogspores, sorry I don’t have Sin City to test with here. Does the target folder contain the .thm file (it is written before the video file)? Maybe Ting could find out something about the problem by looking at this.:confused: Sorry you are still having trouble, but we will not abandon you at least as long as my wife is otherwise occupied.:wink:

Did you try the clean install bogspores?
Go to control panel and select “Add/Remove softwre” and remove DVDFab.
then reinstall. It won’t hurt anything for sure.

UPDATE!..

SUCCESS!..would you believe it was the DVD Sin City that was causing the problem…

I just tried Office Space on the Desktop and it completed quickly, and without any errors!..and the file plays correctly!..

Sorry I got “focused” on using SIN CITY as my source, and assuming it was DVDFab causing the errors…

My DVD appears to have ZERO scratches or physical defects…

I didn’t change anything on DVDFab on the Office Space burn, so the only variable was the DVD source…

Thanks guys for sticking with me on this, and trying to help me out…

That’s great, glad you got it going! :clap:

Thanks!..I just wish I was able to encode “SIN CITY” onto my Zune…

You guys were ABSOLUTELY correct in suggesting it might be the “title” I was trying to copy (Sin City)

I wonder if it’s my specific DVD or an actual bug between DVDFab and Sin City?..

And consider my “luck”…grabbing the 1 DVD out my entire collection, that would create 3 days of “hair pulling” only to find out I should have simply tried another to isolate the source of the trouble…

I hate it when I overlook the most simple troubleshooting steps because I rule them out as “impossible” from the start…

Once again, a lesson learned!

[QUOTE=90312;1934515]…4.0.1.2 did not overwrite the preceding version, both were installed. I uninstalled both versions completely through control panel, rebooted and reinstalled 4.0.1.2, rebooted and everything works now.[/QUOTE]

when i updated from 4010 to 4012 i encountered a similar problem. although i did not test version 4012 before i noticed both versions in add/remove programs. link

OT: thanks for the info signals on the same day update. i did see a post where fengtao asked to re-download and see the results, but did not know this problem had been addressed. link

troy

[QUOTE=90312;1934415]bogspores: My laptop does the exact same thing on Sin City. …
Backup to HD on the laptop works fine, but conversion to PSP won’t![/QUOTE]

bogspores: have you tried to save to hard drive? maybe something with the disc causes the conversion to fail but will not fail for target folder option. then do conversion from hard drive files. worth a try.:iagree:

troy

Hi bogspores,

We will test “Sin City” for the problem.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Thanks so much for doing this for me…it’s greatly appreciated!

I also know you guys are extremely busy, but by chance, did you happen to try Sin City yet and did you find any problems?..

On a side note, I buddy of mine was able to copy Sin City for me into the PSP ver 3.30 mobile format…it worked fine for him?..

Thanks again!

Was your buddy able to copy your original disk or his? The more I read your posts, the more I think you may have a bad original pressed disk.

Sorry for not being clearer…my buddy used his own disk of Sin City…

My disk plays fine in my DVD player, but you could be right and I might still have a bad disk for copying…

Thanks for the tips!..