3D projector lens causes diminished picture quality in 2D films

vbimport

3D projector lens causes diminished picture quality in 2D films.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/05/Zynh1.jpg[/newsimage]The inclusion of a special lens in certain Sony film projectors enables them to display 3D images for theatergoers comfortable paying that little bit extra for a premium experience. However, that 3D lens noticeably degrades the quality of traditional 2D films played through it. Why don't projectionists simply remove the lens? It's complicated.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/3d-projector-lens-causes-diminished-picture-quality-in-2d-films-45730/](http://www.myce.com/news/3d-projector-lens-causes-diminished-picture-quality-in-2d-films-45730/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Most cinemas have multiple simultaneous showings, so probably the simplest solution is to dedicate one room to 3D movies only and this way the projector can be permanently operated in 3D mode, while keeping the rest of the rooms for running 2D-only films.

Alternatively, don’t show 3D movies. :slight_smile:

True but some theaters do not have the capacity to do so.
The Sony 3D digital projector is not cheap. It should be capable of showing both 3 and 2D, especially the cost it comes to showing a first-run movie.
Another Sony boner.
J

How does the lens degrade one type of movie, but not the other? If anything, you’d expect a 2D presentation on a stereoscopic setup to be too bright due to not having half the light blocked by glasses.

All I can think of is these two things happening simultaneously:

1. They’re using the same amount of light to project stereoscopic as they would for normal 2D. This would cause “3D” movies to be too dim as well. Maybe stereoscopic movies are pre-processed to compensate.
  2. 2D movies only get projected through the left (or right) lens. The other lens projects “black” or, more accurately, a dark shade of grey.

[QUOTE=JimPBish;2590145]How does the lens degrade one type of movie, but not the other? If anything, you’d expect a 2D presentation on a stereoscopic setup to be too bright due to not having half the light blocked by glasses.

All I can think of is these two things happening simultaneously:

1. They’re using the same amount of light to project stereoscopic as they would for normal 2D. This would cause “3D” movies to be too dim as well. Maybe stereoscopic movies are pre-processed to compensate.
  2. 2D movies only get projected through the left (or right) lens. The other lens projects “black” or, more accurately, a dark shade of grey.[/QUOTE]

Sony’s 4K digital projector model ditches previous conventions – running software rather than film reels and utilizing a special lens to cast 3D images into a theater, explained Boston.com. Perfect for actual 3D films, but less than ideal for those lacking that extra dimension; 2D movies ran through the projector reportedly display darker and less colorful.

Man, yet another reason that 3D should be ditched altogether. I’m actually not surprised that this is the case, although it is pretty disappointing. I know for a fact that my local theaters use the same theater/projector to show both 3D and 2D movies depending on what is out at the moment, so I’m sure “standard” theater films are being effected everywhere by this scourge that is 3D.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2590156]Man, yet another reason that 3D should be ditched altogether. I’m actually not surprised that this is the case, although it is pretty disappointing. I know for a fact that my local theaters use the same theater/projector to show both 3D and 2D movies depending on what is out at the moment, so I’m sure “standard” theater films are being effected everywhere by this scourge that is 3D.[/QUOTE]

When I lived in Menlo Park, CA. there was dedicated 2D, 3D movie projectors… But… this is not always the case.
Sucks to live in a one-horse-town.
Never the less there is no excuse Sony with the billions they make cannot make a usable projector for 2 and 3D.

I do not own Sony anything except 21-1 memory card read/writer that I use for “Ready Boost” which has nothing to do with Sony. Just another OEM slapping a Sony sticker on their wares.
Jeff