3550A, burn speed stuck at <=2.4x

vbimport

Just bought the NEC 3550A DVD burner and installed it and had some problems from the get go. It shows the max burn speed on my Memorex 16x blank DVD-R discs of 2.4X. I upgrded the firmware to offical NEC 1.06 and it still didnt seem to take…messed around with it and it finally recognized the discs correctly and I burned 3 dvd’s at 16x speed. I then used Nero CD-DVD Speed to check the quality and did a scan disc and then the drive crapped on me.

It is now only showing 2.4X burning possible. I took the blank DVD out and Nero shows the same thing (2.4X burning speed). So I put a burnt DVD in to check it out and it does not show anything even though video is on it and plays in a DVD player. I tried uninstalling the drive in the Device Manager and rebooting…it re-installed, but to no avail. I also tried installing to Liggy 1.Y6 but it says no supported devices found.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Drive is on the secondary IDE channel as the master (no slave device). The jumper is set to master. I run a P4 2.6GHz machine with Windows XP Pro and 1.7GB RAM.

Check if DMA is enabled

Sorry, forgot to cover all of my P’s and Q’s…yes, Ultra DMA Mode 2 is enabled on the drive.

This has to be the most frustrating thing in the world! :wink:

Go back to device tree and remove ide controller and reboot, it may redetect it properly when ide driver is reinstalled.