3550A Available at Newegg

Black - $42.99 + $4 Three Day Shipping Link
Beige - $42.99 + $4 Three Day Shipping Link
Silver - $43.99 + $4 Three Day Shipping Link

Count me in, I just ordered one. And Newegg is offering a free 1.44 floppy drive as a combo. (Adding the floppy drive does raise the shipping from $4 to $6, but a floppy for $2 is a good deal).

The price is now down to $39.99 with free shipping, at least temporarily. Still waiting on delivery of mine from last week.

My new 3550 arrived, and I immediatly hooked it up, upgraded the firware to 105, and started burning. Here is a Verbatim 16x DVD+R, “MCC 004”. Scanned with the Nec 3550, the Liteon 1693, and then the Benq 1620, for comparison.

And here’s the second burn, a value line TYG02 burned at 12x.

Alright for all of us noobs, tell us what the pretty graphs mean :wink:

It means:

You don’t want to scan with an NEC.

The scan with the Liteon of the MCC 004 is fantastic, the BenQ is surprisingly much worse but I trust the Liteon.

TYG02 always looks bad when you push it to 12X on an NEC and the 3550 is no exception. Still a decent burn for someone who simply must save the 2 minutes, but most people should stick to 8X.

Thanks for the early reports Henry, by any chance do you have any scans of YUDEN000 T02 at 8X?

Ok, so your saying the 3550 is a good burner or at least with TYG02?..right?

Can’t say for sure without seeing 8X burns, and I don’t trust BenQs to scan TYG02, but based on the quality of the MCC 004 and the decent 12X speed I would say yes. I don’t really need another burner, but I am seriously considering this one.

Trying to figure out if I should recomend this drive (3550) to a friend or make him wait for the 4550

Why wait, unless you think he’s really going to need the DVD-RAM capability…

Agreed, and no surprise here.

The scan with the Liteon of the MCC 004 is fantastic, the BenQ is surprisingly much worse but I trust the Liteon.

I think the scans of the MCC 004 all look good. The PIE counts are way high from the Nec, but people have already reported that in regards to the Nec 4550, which is (supposedly) the same hardware as the 3550. And I pay very little attention to PIE anyway. I think the scans from the Liteon and the Benq are basically the same. The Liteon scan has a total PIF of 301, and the Benq scan has a total PIF of 794. Both are excellent numbers. As the Benq is faster at scanning, I normally use it for that purpose.

TYG02 always looks bad when you push it to 12X on an NEC and the 3550 is no exception. Still a decent burn for someone who simply must save the 2 minutes, but most people should stick to 8X.

I wouldn’t call that bad, with a total PIF of 309, I consider this to be an excellent burn. Yes, I would expect a (slightly) better looking scan if the disc were burnt at 8x, but I truly feel that many users here get carried away trying to achieve some mythical idea of perfection (quality score of 99, total PIF less than 50, etc.)

Thanks for the early reports Henry, by any chance do you have any scans of YUDEN000 T02 at 8X?

I’ll burn a T02 later this evening and post a scan.

By request, here is a Taiyo Yuden T02, burnt at 16x. Came out pretty good, I think.

First the cdspeed create graph, then a scan on the Benq, then a scan on the Liteon, then a transfer rate test on the Liteon.

Hey Guys I just checked new egg and they are having a 2 day blow out,
ALL oem
Beige 37.99 ship 1.99=40
Black 38.99 ship 1.99=41
Silver 39.99 Free shipping=40

You can also get a free gift, newegg/nec case or Some DL disk, But shipping goes up to 5 bucks. so you are basically paying 5 bucks for either.

There is also a 3540 retail for 42.50 with 2.50shipping.

Here is a link to the 3550’s

Not bad

Anyone here with a 3550 who is willing to start an experiment with his drive? :rolleyes:

It certainly doesn’t look happy when the speed shifts. Any chance we can see one at the rated speed? I already have drives to overspeed if I ever want to. I would be looking at another NEC for the quality.

Thanks

Basically, there is no “speed shift” on this burn (the 16x YUDEN T02). The drive uses CAV (Constant Angular Velocity), so the RPM remains constant and the “speed” of the burn steadily and smoothly increases. For an illustration, see the first .png file in the post above about the 16x T02 burn.

It does appear to have a spike in PIE values in the neighborhood of 2.3 gigabyte. I looked for, but could not see any defect on the disc itself. It will be interesting to see if this repeats on another burn. I suspect that it won’t.

I will undoubtedly try a Yuden T02 at 12x at some point, but I wouldn’t ordinarily burn one at 8x. The T02 discs burn too well at 12x.

In the meantime, here is a transfer rate test on a dual layer Ritek D01, Memorex brand, 25 pack spindle from the sale at CompUSA, burnt at 2.4 speed. There is no quality test, as I am unable to complete a quality test (errors out). Typical for the Ritek D01 disks, on all of my drives. But this disk is usable – I installed Suse 10.0 from this disk.

I might be interested. You can contact me via email or PM, and we’ll discuss it.

Hi all!

Could someone tell me the major differences between the 3540 and the 3550? The writing specs seem the same, but I haven’t dug into the nitty-gritty…just the spec sheets NewEgg has…
I’m looking for another burner, and I already have a 3520 and a 3540, so I was just curious what changes I could expect with the 3550…other than the model# is higher :slight_smile:

Thanks!

-Greg

Here’s a Sony D11 burnt at 12x. These were sold as GQ brand DVD+R 8x at the local Fry’s, and are not really what you would call high quality media.