3550 Very Slow Rip Speeds

just bought a 3550 for my mother through it in and no problems until i go to rip a disk in dvd decrypter rip speed shows most of the time 0.1x to 0.9x highest it gets is 1.3x taking about an hour and a half to rip. it’s all set as far as dma and all . burner is set to master and it has a dvd rom cd burner set to cs. tried reinstalling drivers and burner no luck. I read in a post that this burner isn’t riplocked is this true? It has 1.5 firmware which came on it. I have always been a liteon person have a 1673s with no problems and am new to nec not sure what else to look for. also i have checked cables several time for lose connections.also when it was done ripping i tried to burn and buffer was jumping all over read in a post that this will do this the first burn to calabrate is this true? dvd i was backing up was a full 8 gig disk. tried nero speed test also showed 0.1x to 0.9x is this burner bad?

Dell Dimension E510 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3.0GHz,800FSB)
Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (4x256M)
Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelator 950
Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢
48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Enable DMA first.

DMA is enabled

Then that crap MCE software is the problem.

is there a solutions for mce software problems?

Dell Dimension E510

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIMENSION%205150/E510&os=WW1&osl=EN

update drivers and then if that doesn’t fix the buggy ide, roll back to win xp sp2 default

just to let you know i put it in my computer and did the same thing so i am rmaing it tomorrow. thanks for the help all!