3540A writes CD-R at max speed only 16x?!

I am very confused. I just got a NEC3540A and have updated firmware to 1.03. I can burn rated 8x DVD-R at 12x, but when it comes to CD-R the drive can only burn at a maximum 16x! The Plextor PX-W4012 CD burner I replaced with this drive could burn the same CD-R at up to 40x!! The 3540A should burn CD-R at up to 48x, so why is it only able to burn at 16x? The CD-R is Fujifilm with PS6969 stamped near the inner rim. But I don’t think it’s the media since the Plextor was able to successfully burn these same discs at 40x. Is there anyway to get this drive to burn CD-R at the max speed?

Welcome to the forum.
Although the CD-R media may be 48x rated, NEC may have judged the write quality was only good upto 16x. The max speed any media can be burned is set in the drives firmware.
Check out this document for recommended media

So Please put me straight & on the correct Road Dee-27…You are saying that NEC is Decieving us All about the 3540A that we all bought, in that it does not Burn DVD-R at the Reckomended Speed!!..ie instead of burning at 16x it burns at 12x or 8x instead…
If that is the case/scenario, then I might as well of kept useing my good old 2500A n saved my money n bought a box of chockolates instead!!!
burning CDRs at 16x instead of the stated 48x is really deceiving the public…Good Job I use my LiteOn 48x for CDs then…
By the Way…I still use F/W 1.01 on my 3540A untill you or someone can/will confirm which F/W update is THE Best…Yes I have read Every Thread n it only Baffles n upsets my little Brain with all the Error Reading that I think is Un-Necessry…After All…Are We Burning for use, or Burning just to see who’s get the Less errors n Best Pi- po…It’s like collecting beer Mats from all of Scotlands pubs this error reading…lol
Take Care n Keep up the Good Work…

well each manufacturer sets the allowed speeds if you use nero cd/dvd speed you can see what speeds are allowed and who makes the disc (see below

If that is the case/scenario, then I might as well of kept useing my good old 2500A n saved my money n bought a box of chockolates instead!!!
for you that probably is true, except the 2500 only burned cds @ 32x max and there were plenty that my liteons would burn @ 52x that my 2500 would only burn @ 16x

By the Way…I still use F/W 1.01 on my 3540A untill you or someone can/will confirm which F/W update is THE Best…Yes I have read Every Thread n it only Baffles n upsets my little Brain with all the Error Reading that I think is Un-Necessry…After All…Are We Burning for use, or Burning just to see who’s get the Less errors n Best Pi- po…It’s like collecting beer Mats from all of Scotlands pubs this error reading…lol
Take Care n Keep up the Good Work…
someplace there is a quote about proving your intelligence to the world or keeping it to yourself… i think oc freak has it in his siggy. if you have read every thread then you would have seen in addition to the scanning mayhem the opinions of people as to the firmwares performance. you will see that as an example 1w6 and 1.03 are not the most popular and that 1w5 and 1w7 are depending on what media you have. the scans will tell you which media are better or worse so you can make your decision.

THANKS cnlson----Your Explanation was/is Tip-Top m8…my Brain says from f/w 1.01 to 1.W5 for starters if that’s ok stick to it…If not, try 1.w7 or go 1.01 to 1.03 then 1.03 to 1W6 or 7…
Reasoning, (not brain) says that 1.01 to 1W5 will Work ok…
I read all of Dees ATIPs for all media n f/w last night and have made a note of which DVD-Rs to buy that burn 8x n 12x n 16x…

I Don’t use my NEC to Burn CDRs, only DVD-Rs. I use my Lite-On to burn CDRs.–Logic says that’s easier & Faster…
I can get the giss of some things but the rest leaves me baffled…
THANKS & Take Care…