3540A buffer during the burn

vbimport

All,

I just got the 3540A yesterday from newegg, isntalled it, burned couple of DVD’s and was amazed at the quality of burns I got. However, something puzzled me about it’s operation. At the beginning of the burn the buffer remained at a steady 97% full, then about a third of the way through, the buffer would empty out to 0% and then fill itself back up to 97%. That would repeat itself several times through the burn. It did not seem to affect the quality of the burn, but I never saw a drive do that unless it had problems getting the information for the hard disk.

Can somebody please calrify what’s happening here?

Thanks.

This is DMA problem if you have Win 98/Me manager system/CDROM/DMA
Please enable the dma like in the post Win 2000/XP/2003—>>>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

If it’s the “drive buffer” that does it, you have nothing to worry about. It’s perfectly normal for all recent high-speed drives.
The drive re-calibrates the laser during the burn at regular intervals (about every 500MB, and at each actual burning speed change) :wink:

@muzykmarcin, when DMA is not activated I think the first symptom is you can’t burn faster than 4X, sometimes not even faster than 2.4X.

Nevertheless, the advice is good to take, checking your DMA settings won’t hurt :iagree:

thats right
thank`s Francksoy

Can’t really clarify, but I have found the same thing with my 3540A. Burns are perfect, but the buffer jumps around quite a bit. More than my Plextor 712, 716 and an old TDK drive that is now retired.

I never did really do any meaningful tests with it, but I am not gonna worry unless I see some bad burns out of it.