3540a and DL Media (NEC ND-3540 DVDRW 16X DL beige)

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-3540 DVDRW 16X DL beige. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi there !

I have a NEC 3540A drive, running 1.04 Firmware.

Recently i tried to burn some DVD+R DL Media (something i never tried before).

The Media is the Ridisc Xtreme (CMC MAG D02 (000), and out of 3 discs, only one (the first i burned) is totally readable.
All of them burned without errors in imgburn, but have problems in playback (in every drive).

Now here’s the question:

-Should i try other media ? Which one do you advise me ?

-Should i replace the drive ? Which one (for burning DVD+R DL) ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I’ve been burning DVD-R since 2002, but i’m starting on DL now.

Cheers

You can try some Verbatim media, also if you want a new drive you can get the 7240S or the 720xA or S and also welcome to CDF.

Hi vroom.

Sadly, i don’t think i can find any Optiarc drives here for now (Portugal). :frowning:

I only saw brands/models like:
Asus, LG, Sony (DRU865S; DRU870S), Samsung, Plextor (PX810 / PX 820) - a little pricey…

Do you recomend any of these ?

My first try will be to use Verbatim media, but if it fails i’ll have to buy a new drive.

I’ll post the scan results of the only working burning i managed to did with Ridisc Media.

Here is the scan.

I don’t understand the meaning of this, besides that red is usually a bad sign. :rolleyes:

But i can play and rip the entire DVD without getting errors from DVD Decrypter.

Here it is:

[QUOTE=rca29;2303281]Hi vroom.

Sadly, i don’t think i can find any Optiarc drives here for now (Portugal). :frowning:

I only saw brands/models like:
Asus, LG, Sony (DRU865S; DRU870S), Samsung, Plextor (PX810 / PX 820) - a little pricey…

Do you recomend any of these ?

My first try will be to use Verbatim media, but if it fails i’ll have to buy a new drive.

I’ll post the scan results of the only working burning i managed to did with Ridisc Media.[/QUOTE]

The sony 865 should be a liteon ihas422 very nice drive (with CK’s firmware) and the sony 870S i think that it is an optiarc7240S, so my vote gos for the sony drives.

Here’s an update on this subject.

Today i bought the Verbatim (2.4x) and here’s the burn results:

At 2.4 x

At 4x

Now some strange facts:

• I can rip without any error any of these burns, but my Plextor 708A drive can’t recognize these discs. It’s stange because it did recognized the Ridisc’s which were a lot worse burn.

• I can play these Verbatim burns in any of my old standalones, such as Panasonic DVD S35, Pioneer DV 444 and Sony RDR-HX510, so i guess i will stick with the Verbatim media.

Yes stick with verbatim.