3500AG: -R works in my JVC DVD player, but not +R?!

vbimport

I couldn’t put the full story in the subject, but here it is: I first bought a 1300A half a year ago, and at about the same time a friend bought one as well. But my DVDs couldn’t not be read by any standalone DVD player, only computer DVD ROMs, while whatever he burned (on the same media!) worked even on my own DVD player. Two identical players, identical settings, identical burner programs (tried both latest Nero and DVDDecrypter), identical firmware, totally different results.

So today I got a 3500A that I had ordered since I wanted to try that instead (they’re becoming so cheap now that I don’t bother with trying to get something done to the 1300, I can use that as a data backup drive). I haven’t yet done anything with the firmware. I first tried it with a few cheap Datawrite and Bulkpaq media, but got the three letters I so hate in the display of my JVC: Err. :frowning: Next attempt was That’sWrite -R, and whadd’ya know? It worked! I burned a few more, and they all worked, burned at 4x speed. But that cakebox with 25 -R are the only -R DVDs I have, so I decided to try the one’s that I bought with the new burner, That’sWrite +R. It flew through burning on 8x, even though it’s rated at 4x. You guessed it: Err! :frowning: :frowning: I even tried to burn one on 2x, but that didn’t change anything.

So my questions are:

1. Why should the results be so different for the 1300A’s? Oh, I have of course tried the drive both in my server, AMD XP2600+ and my HTPC, P4 3.0C @ 3.8, and that didn’t help one bit.

2. Why should the +R I burn with my new 3500AG not work on the JVC standalone when the +R my friend burned on his 1300A (he used both the cheap media and That’sWrite +R) works perfectly?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answers that can help me get closer to the solution to this riddle!

Try a firmware with bitsetting support(mad-dog 2F8) + good quality +r media.

Some 1300A firmwares automatically set the booktype to DVD-ROM for DVD+R discs.
That is why your friends’ discs work. :wink: