3500A, Nero 6.6, TDK 8X

vbimport

The media list I downloaded from NEC says that the 3500a should burn TDK 8x’s at 16x. When trying to set the burn speed in Nero 6.6.0.3 using the TDK DVD+R 8x’s it won’t give me any higher than 8x. I’ve upgraded the firmware on the drive to 2.18 and done a clean install of Nero using Ahead’s cleanup tool. Am I missing something? :rolleyes:

yes…
find dvdidentifier and post the results. my guess is that the specific mid code you have is ricohjpnr01 or something like that which will burn at a max of 8x

Here’s what I get
** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Drive = _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG [FW 2.18]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+RW DVD+R DVD+R-DL
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-RW DVD-R
** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 KBPS ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 KBPS ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 3324 KBPS ( 2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

cmc e01 is 8x media. last time i checked liggy dee 1.4 and up will burn it at 12x with ok results otherwise it is 8x media not 16x

sorry

if it doesn’t say 16x then it may not burn @ 16 x

The media list I checked from NEC indicated the 3500 would burn this 8X media at 16X. NEC wouldn’t lie to me would they :wink:

obviously you checked the wrong media list =)

IIRC, 8x TDK dvd+r discs are either CMC MAG.E01 or RICOHJPN R02. Only the latter are on NEC 's Media List and are limited to 8x.

My NEC 3500 can burn RICOHJPN R02 at 12 or 16x with Quikee2’s firmware. :cool:

It can also be TDK002 or YUDEN000T02… both supported at 16x

I can burn CMC MAG E01 at 12x with 2.18 firmware, but my tests showed that burning at 8x gives signifcantly better results (hey, it’s only a few minutes longer wait). On my Benq, 8x is the maximum speed.
(Quickee: the mediacode was in the second post of laslo)

Uesful to know. Pity that CMC is a possible option.

You can look up this info in http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia . :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link.

It seems that only one person has reported TY under the TDK brand for 8x dvd+r discs.

Yeah… and 2 TDK002 and RICOHJPNR02 and 4 CMC MAG. E01… But this doesn’t mean nothing :slight_smile:

I don’t know if TDK002 media is available in the US; I’ve only heard of this media from the Japanese/Asian and European markets. The TDK-branded T02s aren’t that hard to spot; just look for a “made in Japan” sticker placed over the “made in Taiwan” banner on the 50 disc spindles. The 100 disc spindles are blatantly TY (standard TY cakebox).

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I just got off the phone with NEC tech support and, after they found the media list I was referring to, said it might burn at that speed if the 3500 was set as master with a ton of ram, a fast processor, and the only drive on the system (!?!) but realistically, don’t count on it.

Why is it that brands like TDK, Philips, Fujifilm don’t display the real media code somewhere, so that you know it before you purchase it? And they do not even have the same media all the time. Philips 8x DVD+R used to be Ricoh JPN R02, but when I decided to buy it (just because I it was supposed to be the Ricoh) it had changed to an inferior CMC Magnetics. TDK 8x DVD+R also was Ricoh JPN R02 and changed to TDK 002 (luckily this media is not inferior and I love it).

It’s not about giving Joe Consumer power to be more knowledgeable!

Because they don’t want you to know until you’ve bought it and opened the package.

because just like people are with kprobe results they would be totally irrational. there would be some media which will produce just fine results like cmc that would never end up purchased and some (yuden, ricohjpn, ect) that would fly off the shelves and raise prices both for the OEM (tdk, fuji, imation ect) and more importantly for ME! this way most of the sheep do not know anything just buy on price and so the companies will sometimes buy from TY if they can get a good price and then buy from cmc when they can’t.

The main reason is that many brands use numerous different manufacturer sources for their discs (which means many different MID codes).
They see no advantage in specifically stating MID codes as it means more money spent for them and no additional profits. ( 99% of people wouldn’t know what it meant anyway ).