3500@3450 Crossflash!

vbimport

Today, I received a dump of the 3450 firmware from Liggy and decided to do a crossflash of my 3500. Not that it is very usefull, but this way we can get some more information on this drive.

At another place in the forum, someone has pointed out that the 3450 simply is a rebadged 3100, so it should be highly hardware-compatible with the 3500.

Crossflashing went OK using the latest binflash, the reflash to 3500 also works OK.

Here are some reports from popular programs, after the crossflash to 3450:

Nero Infotool:

DVDInfoPro:

Quikees NecDump:

Binflash’s Booktype page:

So what does this learn us?

In the first place, it doesn’t differ very much from a stock 3500. No bitsetting possible, Riplock enabled and RPC2. The same max. writing speeds apply for the same media. Creating a data disc with Nero CD-DVD speed shows no special peculiarities:

Quality scan will follow as soon as it’s finished.

Summary so far:

If you would be satisfied with a stock 3500, you will be with the 3450. If you want higher burnspeeds, RPC1, Riplock removed or bitsetting, you can flash to any 3500 firmware and have no problems. But you have to use the newest version of Binflash, all other programs or earlier versions will reject the 3450 as “unknown”.

You use a really old version of NecDump :wink: Does it work with a newer version… ?

I was a bit lazy. Better this way?

Ritek DL is supported in stock firmware!

I burned a +RW disc and quality scanned it. Here are the results:

Nothing special. The spike is because of me multitasking :bigsmile:

I still do not understand what’s the interest for NEC doing that ? Bôoo ?..

Squirrel: which firmware did you use? I’ve downloaded the latest Binflash (GUI version) but don’t know which firmware to use to flash my 3450.

Devhead:

Squirrel did the opposite of what you are looking to do(more for an experiment, than anything). Use any of the 3500 firmwares on your 3450. Should work fine. Look at LD_V1 or Quikee’s firmwares. If you just want RPC1 and Rip Lock removed look at TheDangerousBrothers. Treat your drive as a 3500 and look for the firmware of your choice.

Squirrel,

Is it possible for you to send me the 3450 firmware so I can publish it on my page. Thanks :bow:

Page is updated with this firmware. Thanks Squirel.

Dronten is not that far from Ermelo… :bigsmile:

whats the difference between 3500a and 3450a?

In hardware, not much. I think they’re identical. In software, a bit more. A stock 3450 behaves like a stock 3500, although the firmware seems a little bit older. And some programs don’t recognize the 3450. But for the 3500 a lot of modded firmwares are available. Since you can flash them to a 3450 without problems, there’s no reason not to do it :wink:

So my advice to all 3450 owners, and a summary of my experiment:

If you’re happy with your 3450 running stock firmware, keep it that way and don’t touch it. But if you want riplock removed, rpc1, bitsetting or media speedups, flash any 3500 firmware that suits you and you’ll be perfectly happy!

Do you think flashing my 3450A with the 3500 firmware will allow me to burn these DVD media at 8X? They’re currently burning at 4X at the moment. They’re labeled as 4X. However my Plextor 708A can burn them at 8X. It’s just the 3450A that can’t do so at the moment.

Info from DVDIdentifier

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RITEK-R03-002]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [002]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I believe stock 3500 firmwares also burn that disk at 4x. However modded firmwares are able to up the speed to 8x (Dee-Liggy’s firmware; not too familiar with Qwikee’s but I’m sure it should, at least, be the same).

With Quikee’s V3B2 you can: look here

With Liggy/Dee’s firmware, it’s also possible: look here

That means that you’d better stick to 4x.

I just flash my NEC 3450A with a 3500 one (Nec_2.FC) and it works fine with DVD+RW (I’ve just finish to burn one right now :wink: ) but it seems not working at all with DVD-R.
I tried to burn one just before the DVD+RW and Nero send me a message error that he was unable to perform the task.
I’ll return back with the original firmware because I’ve still sone DVD-R ready to burn but the question is : It’s posible to use a 3500 firmware with a 3450 model and to keep the abilty of burning DVD-R ?
Thanks for your answers

Not currently… You can crossflash to 3500 software and get the benefits on + media, but lose the ability to burn - media. It’s not fully known why, but see this thread for more info.