32x recording defined in Orange Book

vbimport

I just posted the article 32x recording defined in Orange Book.

Submitted by: arnesr
Source: http://www.licensing.philips.com/

High Speed CD-RW
May 10, 2000: Orange book Part III: CD-RW Volume 2 High Speed Version 1.0, dated May 2000 has been released…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/520-32x-recording-defined-in-Orange-Book.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/520-32x-recording-defined-in-Orange-Book.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Which isn’t really a big saving if you think about it… an 8X recorder can do a CD in under 10 mins, whereas a 32X (4x as fast) only saves you 7 mins, which isn’t substantial. A 64X will save you maybe 1.5 mins more. Can you really risk a buffer?

I agree, I think the limit of speed burning is reached with 8 or 10 speed.

It’s better to focuss on stuff like DVD and how to make that more userfriendly etc…

The more can go on ONE CD the better!

I think 32x would be wonderful. If the cost of the burners are maintained and utilize burn-proof for buffer probs… I would buy one and i know atleast 5 others that would too… 8-10 is way too slow for most ppl.

They’re speaking of “constant angular recording speed of about 32 revolutions/second”, that’s NOT the same as 32x recording!!!

It “defines LINEAR recording speeds at 4x-10x nominal CD-speed”.

Learn to read before you post stuff, ZiSE.

Because most of you can’t read English very well, I’ll translate the important part of that message:

Dit document definieert de lineaire opnamesnelheid tussen 4x en 10x, dit houdt de mogelijk in om de CD tegen 32 TOEREN PER SECONDE te beschrijven.

nogmaals: 32 toeren per seconde is NIET gelijk aan 32x speed.

I was gonna say the same thing too… I think that the CD recorders are at their peak anywayz, Im more interested in the DVD recording technology at this point and how fast they are gonna get…

Is there a good dependable Burning Software that is Consistant or stable enough for 8X and above?
I agree that anything over 8X is a bit questionable. Don’t get me wrong they might do the job but how often is the burning software CONSISTANT with out have a few coasters?
It be great if some of this effort would have been focused in making a Good software that wouldn’t have to be patched forever only to do the job just!!! as oppose keep pushing the speed higher and higher!

My 12x Plextor is great. Don’t know if you need better. 6 minutes for a full cd. I can’t even write the cover and turn it around before the cd is finished. 32x would be cool, but it would most likely require faster computers and harddisks.

I think 12x is fast enough ! If the same speed is reached for CDRW that should be the end! I only have a old 4x at the Moment takes 20min. for a full CD. I have the time, but I’m sure I’ll get one of the 12x beasts soon

I think 12x is fast enough ! If the same speed is reached for CDRW that should be the end! I only have a old 4x at the Moment takes 20min. for a full CD. I have the time, but I’m sure I’ll get one of the 12x beasts soon

Will such high-speed CD-RW drives be backward compatible with the current 4x CD-RW discs? And will it be able to use current 4x CD-RW discs with such new drives? Is something said about compatibility in the specification?

I read somewhere that the new CDRW media is not backwards compatible for now. But I think they said something about firmwareupgrades.

nounou kom ik helemaal niet meer beneden!!!