32123S XS0Z + Feurio 1.66

vbimport

Now with the new firmware, it’s not possible to do working capacity test.
Like 52246S, the writer seems not to see the end of the media: it claim to write e.g. 99 minutes on a 80 min media!

I have had that same problem with a Sumsung 8x8x32, i.e. it emulates a burn, but does not move the laser. I originally thought that the whole point of a test burn was to make sure that the laser could follow the track all the way up to where it would finish burning too make sure it wouldn’t lose track or go beyond the end of the CD. In the CD recorders without buffer-underrun protection, it was there to make sure the buffer could keep up throughout the test process. Without either of these two, the testing process has no use what so ever. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by mag97
Now with the new firmware, it’s not possible to do working capacity test.
Like 52246S, the writer seems not to see the end of the media: it claim to write e.g. 99 minutes on a 80 min media!
It’s been known for months and discussed a few times. The recent one is available here

Originally posted by seanbyrne

the testing process has no use what so ever.
And how are you gonna determine the actual CDR capacity without having simulated the overburning test ?

By doing a real burn

Originally posted by alexnoe
By doing a real burn

Yeah, you’re right. In a way.
And what are you gonna get then if the file is larger than the CDR capacity ?
Would you be able to squeeze e.g. 83 min 23 sec of audio without knowing exactly if it’s okay to overburn safely ?
Wouldn’t it be exposed to risk to become a coaster ?
I would usually choose an appropriate CDR according to the CD-R database (below)
I guess, you first need to make your bed and then lie on it, huh ?

CD-R Capacity Test

As described under Overburning a CD-R may most of the times be written with more than the nominal capacity.
With the help of this function you can test the maximal capacity of a CD-R.

For this Feurio! simulates burning an ”outsized” CD. When the CD-Writer can´t write anymore
(because it has reached the end of the CD-R), Feurio! shows this error message and the position the error occured.
”Test size” determines the size of the test CD.
Feurio! virtually creates a ”Dummy-CD” with the determined playing time.

This information is necessary, because the CD-Writer already needs the ”Table of Contents” (the CD´s directory) before starting the burn process. Some CD-Writers generally refuse to burn CDs that exceed the nominal capacity. ( BoSkin edit That’s what I mean ! )

As a rule the value should be much higher than the estimated CD-R capacity, a value of 85 minutes would be suggestive.

CD-R Database

As described under ”Overburning” most of the time more data than ”stated” by the CD-R can be written to the CD-R.

Because the CD-Writer only reports the ”nominal” playing time of a CD-R, you normally have to remember or write down the results of the CD-R Capacity Test.

To free you from this annoying job Feurio! supports a CD-R database.
After you finished the CD-R Capacity Test you can add the maximum capacity to the CD-R database.

When you insert a CD-R of this type in the future, both the nominal AND the maximum CD-R capacity will appear in the status line of the Main dialog.
The entries of the CD-R database can be displayed by selecting the menu item ”Show CD-R database” within the menu ”Extras”.

Wouldn’t it be exposed to risk to become a coaster ?

Yes. When trying to find out the capacity, I would put so much on it that it will be a coaster.

Some time ago, I had a Plextor 2410TA.
Here 2 reported (and real) capacities of discs.
CMC 16x: 94:59 (about 82)
Taiyo Yuden 24x: 83:10 (about 82:45)

For other discs, the Plextor reported the correct length. But for CMC, it just missed the end. No one could reproduce it, not even other users of that writer…

In the meantime, I’ve switched to the way of doing a real burn to find out the capacity; it’s the most reliable way.

When I need to overburn, I always use the abovementioned Taiyo Yuden, so the cost is acceptable.

This information is necessary, because the CD-Writer already needs the ”Table of Contents” (the CD´s directory) before starting the burn process. Some CD-Writers generally refuse to burn CDs that exceed the nominal capacity.
This statement is true only for DAO mode, but not for RAW mode!