3 Musketeers task_1 failed error 400

vbimport

I’m trying to back up my older 3 Musketeers DVD. It plays fine in the preview window but doesn’t get out of the gate before it kicks up the error message.

I have updated my DVD Fab version (which has always miraculously cured any previous problems with back-ups) to 7.0.7.0. I have changed setting from the PP being always on to always off to “when necessary”. I’ve checked the DVD disc… it’s in OK shape and I’ve cleaned it.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on what I can do to resolve this problem?

Thanks!
Kolohe

Error 400 is a transcoder error which would suggest a bad rip.

Bad rips are normally caused by a damaged or dirty disc so try cleaning the disc and see if that sorts it out.

Error 400 can also be caused by ripping or transcoding to external drives so make sure you’re using a local drive for both.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler. I did reclean the disk ( I always use a local drive) but got the same error. However, I tried again using “full disc” instead of my usual “customize” setting (to be rid of menus etc.) and for some unknown reason it worked! After that completed I tried one more time with the custom settings and got the error again. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to do a customized version from the the full disc backup.

Appreciate your help.
kolohe

That should work but if it doesn’t then let me know.

There are other ways of doing this that don’t involve DVDFab but I can move the thread if required.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2529868]That should work but if it doesn’t then let me know.

There are other ways of doing this that don’t involve DVDFab but I can move the thread if required.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I tried it and it did work fine. :slight_smile:

I would, however, also be interested in learning about alternative methods. Is there a current thread about this that I can look at?

kolohe

[QUOTE=kolohe;2529837]Thanks Wombler. I did reclean the disk ( I always use a local drive) but got the same error. However, I tried again using “full disc” instead of my usual “customize” setting (to be rid of menus etc.) and for some unknown reason it worked! After that completed I tried one more time with the custom settings and got the error again. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to do a customized version from the the full disc backup.

Appreciate your help.
kolohe[/QUOTE] you can use full disc and still get rid of all the crap by checking jump to main movie title or something similar to that

Thanks Jimbo. That setting is something I’ve never tried… OK, I wasn’t even aware it was available :p. I got locked on to one method and really haven’t worked with the program to it’s full potential.

I just opened up DVDfab and found what you were talking about… I’m going to try it on one of my backups to see how it works. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

[QUOTE=kolohe;2529913]I tried it and it did work fine. :slight_smile:

I would, however, also be interested in learning about alternative methods. Is there a current thread about this that I can look at?

kolohe[/QUOTE]

There isn’t one there currently but you can always create one in the ‘Video Edit Software’ forum or the main ‘Movie Copy Software’ forum.

It can be a bit more complicated though depending on how far you want to go. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]@ Kolohe[/B] Here is how I do it to get rid of the junk

1. select full disc
    under navigation
  2. check change dvd playback order
  3. check jump to main title when disc inserted
  4. check remove annoying PGC’s

Hope this helps you pal

[QUOTE=Wombler;2530073]There isn’t one there currently but you can always create one in the ‘Video Edit Software’ forum or the main ‘Movie Copy Software’ forum.

It can be a bit more complicated though depending on how far you want to go. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the forum links Wombler. I’ve ‘bookmarked’ them for when I’ve got a bit more time to read through them. It would be good to have a better idea/understanding of what can actually be done not to mention how to do it. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2530137][B]@ Kolohe[/B] Here is how I do it to get rid of the junk

1. select full disc
    under navigation
  2. check change dvd playback order
  3. check jump to main title when disc inserted
  4. check remove annoying PGC’s

Hope this helps you pal[/QUOTE]

Jimbo,
Thanks for the 'eliminate the junk’steps! (I’ve got a couple back-ups in waiting to be done, so I’m going to try it this way.)

When you do it this way, are the menus etc. still burned to the disc… so if you really wanted to access them for some reason they are there (i.e. you just don’t have to deal with them unless you want to)?

You can have it set to jump to first menu which will deleted the previews and junk but give you the movie menus

Also as an FYI I would either enable or disable PathPlayer, “when necessary” is not a recommended setting. If this is an older movie disabled is likely the right choice.

Okay I’m sensing this is now is the time to open up this discussion a bit so I’ve moved the thread to the main ‘Movie Copy Software’ forum.

In general here’s what I do with DVDs.

This isn’t necessarily right for everyone but it’s what I find gives me maximum flexibility with regard to customising the disc and maximising quality (which is one of my own key priorities).

[B]1). [/B]Rip full disc with DVDFab.

[B]2).[/B] Open the disc in PGCEdit.

[B]3). [/B]Run the ‘Remove Useless Stuff’ function which executes a whole suite of functions that get rid of unplayable content, dummy titlesets, remove unnecessary commands etc. and essentially simplifies the structure of the disc.

[B]4). [/B]If required, use the ‘Jump to PGC’ function to bypass unwanted stuff at the start of the disc.

[B]5). [/B]Kill playback of and blank all unwanted titlesets (extras, warnings etc.). This can be done on an individual basis so it effectively allows you to include exactly what you want.

[B]6). [/B]Edit the menu buttons to remove links to deleted content.

[B]7). [/B]Run the ‘Remove Useless Stuff’ function again to remove any additional content that is now no longer playable.

[B]8). [/B]Use the FixVTS option to recover the space occupied by the deleted content and save the disc before closing PgcEdit.

[B]9). [/B]If the disc requires compression I’ll run it through DVD Rebuilder for maximum quality. If it doesn’t require compression then I go to to straight to step 10.

[B]10). [/B]Burn the disc.

There are other tricks that come into play if you want to avoid compression or maximise the space for compression which optimises the quality.

Menushrink is a good way of recovering additional space and converts motion menus to stills.

Sometimes it’s also possible to completely remove unwanted titlesets by editing the calling commands and re-running the ‘Remove Useless Stuff’ function in PgcEdit but you’re starting to get into the really technical stuff here regarding DVD command structures.

[B]Wombler[/B]