3 copies of each file

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DIGA DVD Recorder DMR-ES10. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have recently copied my old video 8 videos onto DVD using my Panasonic DMR ES10 and the results have been excellent. Now I want to copy the completed DVD onto my hard drive.

If I open the files on the DVD I find triplicate files, for example VTS_01_1 and VTS_02_1 and VTS_03_1.

Each of these files plays as the same video, so my two questions are:- why are there triplicate files and do I need to copy them all to be able play the video from my hard drive.

thanks

they aren’t exactly the same (though they appear to be). And you do need all of those files. You will likely want the entire contents of your dvd copied to your hard drive (or ripped is the proper term).

Thanks for the info, maybe you can help some more, although a veteran in age I am a total beginer at this stuff.
In total I have copied 11 files, 3 of them are VTS_01_1 for example, each being about 0.99GB. Then there is a small file (60kb) called Video_TS and finally 4 files called Video_TS.BUP, Video_TS.IFO, VTS_01.BUP and VTS_01.IFO which Windows cannot open or at least Windows says it does not have a programe to open that file type.

How can I have one single icon which will play the video using all the files when clicked or is this the Video_TS file?

thanks again

Which program are you trying to play the files with? If you are using Windows XP, it doesn’t come with a built-in dvd decoder to play dvd video.

Normally I direct the playback software to the Video_TS [B]folder[/B], not the files within it.

If you want to try some free programs for playing dvds, look at VLC which can be found here: www.videolan.org

or Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which can be found here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Players/Media-Player-Classic-Home-Cinema.shtml

Hi
Thanks for the info again. I found a site that explains what Video_TS files are all about and I have a much better understanding of why all the files are required. I downloaded a VLC software and it works fine. Thanks again for the help
Mike