3 cheap media at Newegg: Ridata, Ritek, and Samsung. Any comment?

Samsung 4X 4.7GB DVD-R 50-Pack in Cake Box, Model DRG47450CC, OEM $36.99
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-131-234&depa=1

Which manufacturer actually made these Samsung discs? Please tell me your experience with these media.

Some people said RIDATA 4X and Ritek 4X are exactly the same G04 Ritek discs. My question is why would Ritek sell the same media under different brand and at different price?

RIDATA 4X DVD-R 4.7GB, Model DRD-474-RDCB50, OEM $26.99

Ritek DVD-R 4.7G 4X 50PACK, Model DRD-47-4X-RDSM, OEM $36.99

The Ridata 4X has light purple ridata plastic cover. The Riteck 4X also has Ridata plastic cover on the outside but the cover color is red.

I suggest going with the Samsung discs, which are actually BEALL media.
Many people have had problems with Ritek discs lately…

For even better price I believe the ProdiscS03(4X -R) from Accaproduct/Rima/Supermediastore are more consistent in quality than G04.

Personally the Ritek G04’s have been an excellent disc for me :slight_smile:

What burner are you using ?

With my Plex 708A I get very good results with BeAll 4X media at 4X burn speed (better than Ritek G04) as tested via kprobe/cdspeed on a Liteon 166S DVD-ROM. If I slow the burn to 2X, the results are near perfect. Check meritline.com, I have purchased a lot of media from them in the past and have had zero problems (YMMV as others may/will disagree).

I think the biggest issue with ritek/ridata is they vary so much in quality. one batch may be fine and the next high pi/pifs…etc. the prodisks or bealls seem more consistent (Ill take consistent over taking a chance on getting a good batch of riteks) the red label ridatas from accaproducts i think are the good ones hence thats why they are more though they may still vary in quality.

I actually bought the purple top Samsung. Here is the DVD media info:
Media code/Manufacturer ID OPTODISCR004
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps

So, they are Optodisc. They seem to be okay. The two things I care about from a DVD is long-term quality (being able to read the disc one year after it was burned) and scratch resistent. One thing I notice that the cheap media tend to get scratch easily. How are Beall and Prodisc media in the aforementioned two categories. Are those two brands actually the manufacturers or just media redistributors like Samsung is?

Beall and Prodisc are manufacturers.