3 CD-DVD-RW Drives; 3 Different PCs; None Recognize DVD-R Disc

I have 3 different PCs each with a CD- DVDRW drive. 3 different brands of drives. The latest PC and drive is brand new. All recognize and can write to 700MB CD-R discs. None recognize 4.7GB DVD-R discs. None “see” the discs. It’s as if there’s no disc in the drive.

All 3 of my machines are running Windows XP SP3. One machine has CDXPBurner installed. The others have no 3rd party burner sofware installed. I’m trying to burn a 3.15 GB ISO to disc.

Is there a setting somewhere that I’m missing that would allow me to burn to discs of this size?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions provided.

Hi and Welcome!

could you please tell us the exact models of the drives you are trying? Device Manager should help here.
Combo drives - Read DVD, Read+Write CD - are still on the market. That’s why I am asking.

And before I forget: for DVD writing, you need 3rd party software. ImgBurn is highly recommended.

Michael

None recognize 4.7GB DVD-R discs. None “see” the discs. It’s as if there’s no disc in the drive.

That is perfectly normal for XP. There is no built in DVD burning app. Try using ImgBurn as mciahel says.

Thanks for the quick answers. Here are my drives:

TSST TSL462D (brand new machine)
QSI SBW-242 (~ 5 years old)
LITE-ON LTR 24102M (ancient)

I’ll try ImgBurn as mciahel recommends.

Hi,[quote=GreyStone;2215694]Thanks for the quick answers. Here are my drives:

TSST TSL462D (brand new machine)[/quote]Combo drive - no DVD write support

QSI SBW-242 (~ 5 years old)
Combo drive - no DVD write support

LITE-ON LTR 24102M (ancient)
Plain CD-RW drive - no DVD support at all.

I’ll try ImgBurn as mciahel recommends.
Forget it. None of your drives is capable of DVD writing. You need to buy a DVD writer.

Michael

Sorry folks. Took a closer look at my drive specs and realized that they can only burn CDs. Just got back to the forum to add this “discovery”. I apologize for for wasting your time. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

GreyStone

[QUOTE=GreyStone;2215796]Sorry folks. Took a closer look at my drive specs and realized that they can only burn CDs. Just got back to the forum to add this “discovery”. I apologize for for wasting your time. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

GreyStone[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

It’s no biggie. We’re here to help and this could help someone in the future. Don’t throw those drives away. You have some hard to find ancient drives there. I’m not familiar with any of them but some of us still use and buy CD-RW drives for CD-R(W) burning :o :smiley: