3 Burners Fail in a Row

Been using my Liteon SHM-165H6S for over a year. Last week after a good burn the disk contents would not display. Tried to burn another new compilation and Nero cannot find the burner. My Computer shows the burner but it is listed as that last disk that was burned correctly.

So–I installed another Liteon Burner and the same thing happened. One good burn and then the above symptoms. Going to Device Manager, no yellow flags, and the burner reported as working properly.

I took the first driver apart, cleaned the lens and reinstalled. Burned one disk just like above.

So==I put in a third Liteon Burner, got the same results, one good burn, then nothing.

Oh–between #2 and #3 installs, I did use a new ide cable on a separate channel to remove those issues.

Any ideas? Thanks.

What kind of disks are you using? Check that DMA is on, ls the new IDE cable a 80 wire one?

pfloyd:

1. I’m using Taiyo Yuden x8 DvD-R. I burn at x4 speed and before this week haven’t had any issue for 2 years.

2. DMA setting is confirmed on ALL channels.

3. Old and New cable is 80 wire.

The last software I installed was for a new router and I have burned about 20 disks over 5-6 days and 3-4 reboots wihtout issue. I’m starting to feel I need a whole new computer. I’ve got one more Liteon burner left to sacrifice. Any other ideas? Thanks

Do you have a bootable CD/DVD you can try? It might allow to see if the problem lies in the hardware in your computer or in your Windows installation.

@ leaglebob,

From the description you have provided it appears that you have a Software / Operating System problem and NOT a Lite-On DVD Burner problem.

Do you have any Packet Writing Software or Virtual Drive Software programs installed? These types of Software programs are notorious for causing conflict error problems similar to what you are experiencing. Suggest if you have Packet Writing Software or Virtual Drive Software programs installed to completely and totally remove these programs.

If you REALY feel you need a whole new computer because of your current problem I will gladly take you computer.

Regards,
bjkg

Hey guys thanks. I wasn’t thinking software conflict because of the time and reboots since the last “burning related” software was installed, but who knows? I did remove a virtual drive that I’ve used for 6 months. Other game and backup software has been installed, I’ll remove them just because its all I can think of.

I was willing to accept the first burner going bad after 1000 burns. The second burner going bad after a few burns made me think maybe somekind of feedback was involved so I switched IDE Channels and Cable. The 3rd burner going bad has me back to software, but nothing “is obvious.”

Albert–I have one burner left. I assume I could install it and use it to read dvd’s? and maybe even burn 1-2-3 dvd’s before it stops working like the other 3 did. Having maybe broken 3 burners, how do I determine if my issue is hardware or software related other than as indicated above, ie, removing recently installed software?

bjkg–If I can’t burn dvd’s it is pretty near worthless to me. I thought I might put my remaining burner in a usb-external enclosure–trying to isolate software from hardware issues. Before I offered to give it away, I’d do a fresh OS install and “assume” that would fix it?

YOU KNOW–its only age of my system and new software added that has changed over the last few days. Its always something!

Ideas, maybes, – all are welcomed. I’ll report back if/when I work out a solution. Usually when things start working again, I still don’t know what was wrong, or how it got fixed? Thanks.

[QUOTE=leaglebob;2081940]Albert–I have one burner left. I assume I could install it and use it to read dvd’s? and maybe even burn 1-2-3 dvd’s before it stops working like the other 3 did. Having maybe broken 3 burners, how do I determine if my issue is hardware or software related other than as indicated above, ie, removing recently installed software?[/QUOTE]Maybe you can make a bootable image on a DVD media, and trying to boot from each drive…This might show whether it’s a low-level configuration issue, or a Windows/software issue.

If you have some bootable CD, you may be able to do a direct copy to a blank disc and have that be bootable. Usually works for me just like a CD. :iagree:

Or, if possible, you can try the drives in another computer.

Albert–thanks for the input. But I may have the fix:

I uninstalled two programs installed about one week ago–Romeo, a free windows based dvd burner program, and Titan BackUp, another free backup program that has a burner associated with it. Rebooted my computer, and all is working. I think what may have happened is that with my new router I started letting things connect to the internet to get updates and what not. I’m think Romeo or Titan got an update that made it conflict with the Windows OS burner recognition ability? Anyway==my fingers are crossed that this is truly fixed. Why doesn’t “Windows Compatible Software” work???

Its amazing what a rollercoaster I put myself on each time my computer doesn’t work. I gotta grow up. Thanks again All–see my new thread regarding broken DvD Burner.

@ leaglebob,

I have a hardware Fire wall router and software Fire wall restrictively programmed not to install anything from the Internet unless I specifically approve the download.

In this day and age of malicious software I highly recommend not to have ANY software connect to the Internet to update ANYTHING without knowingly approving the download.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2082020]@ leaglebob,

I have a hardware Fire wall router and software Fire wall restrictively programmed not to install anything from the Internet unless I specifically approve the download.

In this day and age of malicious software I highly recommend not to have ANY software connect to the Internet to update ANYTHING without knowingly approving the download.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]yeah i am the same way.