3.0gbs Hard drives

vbimport

Can someone explain to me what the 3.0gbs on the end of this HD is supposed to signify. It can’t be that it reads at 3.0gig a second can it. I don’t think any HD can do that. So what does it mean exactly?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136003

3.0Gb/s = 3.0Gb per second is what it is meant to be the short for, though like you I am wondering about that, might be interesting if it does.

That’s just the theoretical bandwidth capability of supporting 3 gigabits per second. In real world tests, it’s not possible.

Surely that’s misleading advertising, they would be in trouble for that over here.

I really thank all you guys because that is exactly what I thought, it can’t be possible, but all the Major manufactorers of HDs are advertizing them so if it were to be true you could theoreticly write 3.0gig in a second if the device were possible of those specs? I am confused. If this were true it would be the fastest HD on earth.

Its very simple, The SATA II Interface is physically capable of a data rate of 3Gbps, however the actual hard disk itself isnt, think of it this way, you have a road with a speed limit of 300 mph (SATA II Interface) but the fastest cars (Hard disk) can only travel at just over 200mph.

So what your saying is that my RaptorX which is only capable of 1 to 1.5Gbs won’t benefit from this at all. But that said having it someday I might be able to buy a HD that might be able to so it can’t hurt. Is this right?

The RaptorX has a 10k RPM, that’s what make the transfer rate faster than any SATA drive. WD kept it at 1.5 Gbps only because there was no added benefit, the mechanical movements just can’t sustain that speed. The new 150s are all native SATA now, as well as new 36s and 74s, since they were still using a bridge before.

Only real benefit I see is if/when hard drives use FLASH memory (solid state), since there are no moving parts.

So as you already know I have the new RaptorX 150Gig HD, I am looking for a second storage drive, this Western Digital is priced to perfection for and has plenty of room, would you recommend it or not?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136003

Right now, the only meaningful differences between SATA-1 and SATA-2 drives are secondary things like support for NCQ and things of that nature. Speed is not, and never has been, a feature of the interface. However, one can see the potential benefits of having a SATA controller that’s SATA-2 compliant and therefor offers more bandwidth.

Well then is it your recommendation that this HD (above link) will be a good second HD to go with my WD RaptorX?

You can almost choose any “auxiliary” hard drive to go with the (booting) RaptorX. WD supposedly has an “upgrade” option if you have an old WD drive lying around with a valid serial number. It may save you some bucks, yet with the same 3-yr warranty, but with free shipping. But the one you’ve chosen should be fine, I don’t see anything bad about it. You can also check out any Seagate drives, since they offer a 5-yr warranty.

Thanks KTL: I will look into that upgrade option as I do have a copuple of WD IDE HDs lying around. So I guess, I’ll put in the order for this WD2500 3.0gbs HD now. So then I will have 400GiG, I think thats enough for me, I’ll never use more than 100GIG in my life.

Man, I wish I were you.