2x SH-S222 DVD writers no longer recognised by Windows after flashing

vbimport

I have 2 Samsung SH-S222A writers installed in my computer. I bought these at the same time from the same supplier exactly 12 months ago and up until now they have been fine.

Today I was trying to erase a CD-RW that I use for playing MP3’s in the car and both drives were unhappy with the CDRW disc - saying that there was no media present, when there was. My Lenovo laptop was able to read the disc so I erased the disc on the laptop but still the Samsung writer’s wouldn’t see the media.

I checked the SamsungODD website and found a later set of firmware. The drives both had the original SB00 firmware installed so I downloaded the all-in-1 updater for SB02 and flashed the first drive. After the reboot the WinInquiry tool reported that one drive was indeed at SB02 whilst the other one was still at SB00. However when I ran the upgrade utility again it said the version was the same and then quit. It didn’t give me an option to choose another drive.

I unzipped the upgrade package and directly ran the tsdnwin utility, which allowed me to select the second drive that was still SB00 and update it it SB02. This seemed to go well until after the reboot.

When the PC rebooted, I had no DVD writers showing on the system. Checking in Driver Manager showed a yellow triangle against one of the DVD writers and the other writer was nowhere to be seen. The error that driver manager was reporting was code 42, which means “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system”.

I tried rebooting a number of times. i tried deleting the device from driver manager, but nothing worked. However when I switch the computer off and unplug the power to one of the DVD writers and then boot with just the other one running then Windows recognises the drive and it’s totally happy with the hardware. This problem only occurs when both drives are connected at the same time.

The MS knowledge base says the error can be caused “…when a device with a serial number is discovered in a new location before it is removed from the old location”.

The interesting thing is the Nero drive info tool shows that both drives have the same serial number - although it’s reported as a string of about 20 or so accented ‘y’ characters rather than a proper alphanumeric style number.

Does anyone know if the Samsung flash upgrade tool trashes the original drive serial number? If so, is there any way to modify the current drive serial numbers so i can make them different, or is the serial number thing a red-herring?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

Are the drives installed in the same IDE cable ? if yes, are they properly configured one as master and another as slave ?

hi zhadoom

They are installed on the same IDE cable (the secondary IDE channel) and although i havent touched the hardware at all, i did double check that the jumpers were correct.

However, just as a sanity check, looking at the back of the drives (so the power cable is on the right hand side), the jumpers are set as follows. One drive has the right-hand set of pins bridged and the other drive has the center pins bridged.

I cant see the labelling on the drive to double-check this is correct but a quick internet search seems to indicate they are the MA and SL pins.

Cheers
Ian

Any of the drives work if left alone in the cable ? or just one of them ?

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “if left alone in the cable”.

Before the flash upgrade (i.e 4 hours ago) both drives worked fine when connected to the same IDE cable. After the flash upgrade (i.e now) both drives still work fine independently of each other, but Windows complains with the error code 42 if they are both powered-up and connected at the same time.

In other words, if I yank the power cable out of one drive and boot, the other drive will work fine, and vice-versa. If both drives are plugged-in and running then Windows driver manager will complain.

In that 4 hour period, the only thing that has changed on the system is the firmware upgrade on both drives from SB00 to SB02

Try uninstalling the secondary IDE channel and reboot.

If you mean select it in driver manager and hit delete - tried it - no luck :frowning:

Hi,

you may try this:
Disconnect one drive and re-flash. Then do the same with the other drive (Have only one drive on the cable).
Still haveing one drive connected, then configure your system to make hidden devices visible: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539
Next step is to remove all “ghosted” drives from device manager.

Michael

Hi Michael

I have already tried the re-flashing with only one drive at a time but that didn’t make any difference.

I’ve not tried the hidden devices thing though, so I’ll follow your suggestion and do the re-flashing again and then the ghosted drives and report back later today.

Thanks
Ian

unfortunately deleting the ghost devices didnt work.

It was looking promising for a while as the messages in the system tray were saying found new hardware as it detected and installed the DVD drives, but then the icon in devmgr changed over to the yellow triangle and its back at error code 42.

Okay this is straight from Microsoft’s site not a lot of help but maybe it will give you some ideals. :confused:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Code 42
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)
Recommended resolution

A [B]duplicate device [/B]was detected. This error occurs when a [B]bus driver incorrectly creates two identically named sub-processes [/B]
(known as a bus driver error), or when a device with a [B]serial number is discovered in a new location before it is removed from
the old location.[/B] You may be able to resolve this problem by [B]restarting your computer.[/B]

[B]They have got to be joking if they think that a restart fixes everything.[/B] :doh:

Try un-installing both drives in device manager and see what happens if nothing then
I would try another IDE cable and see if that helps. If that doesn’t help you may have
to run one on the secondary IDE channel as master and the other on the primary IDE
channel as slave along with your hdd.

Well I’ve rebooted more times than I can remember, so that doesn’t solve the problem :stuck_out_tongue:

I have seen the KB article as i quoted from it in my original post. It was the bit about the serial numbers which made me wonder if flashing the two drives from the same firmware binary will actually overwrite the serial number or not. As yet no-one has confirmed that either way and I haven’t been able to find any app or utility that allows the s/n to be changed, otherwise I would try that.

I cant understand how it could be an IDE cable problem because the drives worked fine before the flashing on the same cable.

I’m almost tempted to buy a blu-ray reader/dvd writer to replace one of the S222A’s and keep it as a spare - it was only £14 IIRC. Should I end up going down this route, does anyone have a recommendation for a blu-ray device? I was thinking of the LG CH08LS10

Regards
Ian

An idea (voiding any warranty anyway): What about flashing a RPC1 patched firmware on one drive? Perhaps Windows will keep them apart then.

As for the serial number: at least the version of Nero Info Tool which is installed here, reports only “SH-S203Bfirmware” :confused:

Michael

hi ianac, as jethro said, go into device manager, expand ide/ata-atapi-controller, right-click secondary ide channel and choose deinstall
with an immediate reboot you force windows to completely rebuild the second channel with all drivers, it should be done immediately after deinstallation
if this does not work you should try to switch one of the drives to the other channel
the drive itself is good i am owning one
regards

Just thought i would add a quick update on this issue.

I’m currently not being affected by the problem of running the two drives together because my original system fried itself the other week when a heatsink popped off the mobo. Since i was running an old ASUS P4PE mainboard i took the opportunity to move myself onto an Intel Core i5 system on a Gigabyte P55A-UD3R running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 :slight_smile:

On my new mobo the IDE header is in a different spot to the ASUS and is further away from the drive bays and currently all of the IDE cables i have will only reach the first of my two Samsung drives so i cant connect both drives up even if i wanted to. Having said that, now i have lots of SATA ports available on this new mobo, i’ll probably get myself a Blu-ray reader/DVD burner in the near future anyway so i dont expect this problem to be returning.

Would just like to thank everyone for the replies and suggestions :clap:

Ian

I am having exactly the same problem when bought 2 of the SH-S222A samsung drives
Exactly same messages I get of error 42.
The funny thing is on uninstalling the drines from the device manager then restart, problem get sorted…some times.
why some times? as on other times I get only one drive showing.
on one occasion one drive is named DVD ram, the other showing as Hard disk…very funny.
when working, it work like a dream,. I use one as source, the other as burner. Use Nero 7…superb.
Have not upgraded the firmware as when tested on Samsung website, it identify my firmware as SB 04
I think its a windows issue…I use windows XP professional.

What i realised is;
When using a drive to burn, just stick to the same one…try not to use both on different occasions…it seems that this might cause some confusion.

Copied DVDs. Dual Layer ones as well. Burned music CDs and Data ones.
Super…super fast compared to the old Sony ones which both failed in one month.
Any views welcome
Best wishes

Hi and Welcome!

Indeed, Windows seems to get confused if two identical drives are connected via the same interface. One workaround might be to have one drive with a different firmware version.

Michael

Since my last post i have actually managed to find a longer IDE cable so i now have both drives connected to the same IDE channel and on Windows 7 its all working fine.

I havent touched the firmware in either drive since i originally flashed them using Windows XP so the problem is definately not with the drives. Its either got to be connected with the old mobo or Windows XP - unfortunately i’m unable to figure out which.

Ian

I continue to have the issue of either no drives are showing ( both are not there), or only one drive is showing or the drive is there but with not working ( showing this yelow tringle in the device manager.

I consistently been succesful in restoring the two functioning drives by:
Uninstalling all secondary IDE channels from the device manager then reeboot.

Remember:
Uninstalling the optical drive on its own will not solve the problem.
Once you uninstall the secondary Ides , the Samsung drive will disappear any way.
Reboot then windows will find the new hardware.
It start by recognising the two optical drives then recognising the three secondary IDEs

I do not know what is causing the problem, but now I know how to solve it.
These drives are a dream to work with so do not want to change them at all.

Would Vista solve this problem? is it worth upgrading?
happy with my XP pro version so far

Best wishes

Jaafar

[QUOTE=jaafar1;2521658]I continue to have the issue of either no drives are showing ( both are not there), or only one drive is showing or the drive is there but with not working ( showing this yelow tringle in the device manager.

I consistently been succesful in restoring the two functioning drives by:
Uninstalling all secondary IDE channels from the device manager then reeboot.

Remember:
Uninstalling the optical drive on its own will not solve the problem.
Once you uninstall the secondary Ides , the Samsung drive will disappear any way.
Reboot then windows will find the new hardware.
It start by recognising the two optical drives then recognising the three secondary IDEs

I do not know what is causing the problem, but now I know how to solve it.
These drives are a dream to work with so do not want to change them at all.

Would Vista solve this problem? is it worth upgrading?
happy with my XP pro version so far

Best wishes

Jaafar[/QUOTE]

Update 8/6/2010

Managed to update the firmware from Samsung website…smooth update… thier software recgnised both drives and updated it to the sb02 version
seems more stable now and rebooting on 3 occasions, both drives are stil there