2nd HD not recognised after xp install

Hello, i had a virus in my windows(please don’t ask). my last resort was to format my c:. so when i inserted the windows cd and booted it from startup, i got that blue screen that it’s loading all the necesarry files into mem. so did this a million times i walked away from the computer.(normally it would go into the first part of the installation where i can format and resize partitions) but when i got back at my pc, my old windows install was there. so figured what the heck why didn’t the install continued. rebooted and started from the cd again, so then i stayd to watch what happend.
so this time it did boot as it normally would, but only for me to conclude that my 2nd harddisk showed up as not partitioned. So by itself, my hd lost its partitions somewhere along the way.

Now since i had allmost all of my backup data on that thing for modding my 360’s and wii’s and psp(let alone all my emulators plus proggy’s i collected over these past years) i was wondering how to get my partitions back.

i’m downloading partition magic atm, but i don’t know if it will help. so i dicided to post here and ask help from those experts around.

is there something i can do, to get my data back?

please please help.

Remove the cables from your 2nd HD and proceed with the windows installation on your 1st HD (C:).
When the installation is finished and you can boot in to windows, shut down your pc and connect back the cables on your 2nd HD.
Then check the data on your 2nd HD.

Don’t always trust the windows blue screen environment for the condition of your HDs.

Did that allready, i know i can’t rely on windows blue screen environment, but i allready tryed the thing in another pc, with the same results.
partition magic won’t even boot, gives me an error about ez drive not supported. so i got two partition recovery program’s that i’m playing with atm, they show me the drive including the 2 partitions but sais that one of the partitions is faulty(the first of the 2 thats why it won’t show.
but the strangest thing is, it shows me all of the files and folders on the 2 drives, but i can’t do anything with them, so momentarily i’m doing a full scan of the drive but in this case it’s even digging up files from before the last format, while to me it seems that the drive structure is intact cose it shows me all my files and folders evewn before doing a full scan, if there only was a way to fix the partition so i could acces it.

i will rewply back later

Can you at least copy the partitions that you see on another healthy disk with “Ghost” or something similar, so that you retrieve your files?

Download UBUNTU and mount the suspect partition in read only mode - see what you can recover :wink:

You’ll need a HDD with same or more capacity to hold all the files.
Or you can run the linux disk checker.

[QUOTE=BongMasterP;2310371]Hello, i had a virus in my windows(please don’t ask). my last resort was to format my c:. so when i inserted the windows cd and booted it from startup, i got that blue screen that it’s loading all the necesarry files into mem. so did this a million times i walked away from the computer.(normally it would go into the first part of the installation where i can format and resize partitions) but when i got back at my pc, my old windows install was there. so figured what the heck why didn’t the install continued. rebooted and started from the cd again, so then i stayd to watch what happend.
so this time it did boot as it normally would, but only for me to conclude that my 2nd harddisk showed up as not partitioned. So by itself, my hd lost its partitions somewhere along the way.

Now since i had allmost all of my backup data on that thing for modding my 360’s and wii’s and psp(let alone all my emulators plus proggy’s i collected over these past years) i was wondering how to get my partitions back.

i’m downloading partition magic atm, but i don’t know if it will help. so i dicided to post here and ask help from those experts around.

is there something i can do, to get my data back?

please please help.[/QUOTE]

Here my question what are you hardware and motherboard specs and what version of XP are you trying to install? Did you do a complete wipe of the original Main HDD before installing or did do a recovery install? Cause from the read it just did a recover install rather then wipe the drive clean thus removing any virus from the Main C:\ drive. If it is done this way correctly it should be able to see that other drive. Unless you need to use a floppy disk to install a particular drive that the motherboard needs to be install. But without knowing how you have your HDDs setup and connected it’s kinda hard to know where to look.

i will try ubuntu.
@coolcolors

i just have 2 ide hdd atached to an ms-6786 mainboard with a amd athlon xp 2400 processor, so nothing new under the sun.

i was going to do a full whipe of my c:
normally i will boot the windows cd from within the bios. then you get that blue screen that it’s looking for drivers etc.
then normally it will go to the format and where to install screen from the setup from windows(wich drive do you want to use, wich partition,do you want to format the partition,) but this time it didn’t, it “probably”(this i don’t know for sure cos when i came back at the pc my old windows xp installation had loaded) rebooted and then the windows cd will tell me to press any key to boot cd, in this case i was out of the room so it just booted up the windows that was still on my c: but it booted in windows without my 2nd drive showing up.

so at this time i allready got a nice working clean install of xp retestrak 5.0
but still no acces to my drives.

Isn’t xp retestrak 5.0 a torrent hack version? Maybe that is your problem.

Man please stop with those nonsense posts, retestrak xp is just a slipstreamed version of xp. WTF Torrent version???

Also @ the time of installing i didn’t even try to install the retestrak version, but the normal xp pro sp3, without anything done to it(no hack etc).

But i gave up my quest for fixing the partition, i just mounted the partition and its files and folder, and backuped everything that i really needed.
So no the problem is nopt solved, but i did it another way.