2nd Hardrive

I am sorry if this was posted before but i am in a hurry. I have a computer running xp pro sp2 with one 40gb hard drive. I recently got from a friend a computer with a 10gb hard drive. The computer is running win2k. How do I get the 10gb into my current computer. I know how to do the ide, power, jumpers and everything. I just want the hard drive to store documents and backups. How do i remove win2k and how do i make it detectable on my computer. i am a noob with computers so please be specific. Thanks.

Simply install the drive, then boot to your XP install. (Be certain that your motherboard doesn’t re-set the boot priority when the new drive is installed.)
Once in Windows, go to disc management and format the drive.

So you’re saying i should install the hard drive with win2k still on it, and then boot the win xp cd. use the win xp cd to format the drive. How do i format it without installing another winxp.(I only want 1 os (winxp))

[QUOTE=mythbustingdude;1976239]So you’re saying i should install the hard drive with win2k still on it, and then boot the win xp cd. use the win xp cd to format the drive. How do i format it without installing another winxp.(I only want 1 os (winxp))[/QUOTE]

CDan is correct. Install it then reformat this 10gb HDD. Go into disk management after the boot up and you will see the smaller HDD in the list and right click on the 10gb then select reformat, also I would reformat in NTFS for you can transfer more files at one time and it is a much more stable file system.

No. The winxp CD is not required.

Turn computer off.
Install HDD.

Turn computer on and boot into windows XP.
Right click My Computer->Manage->Logical Disk Manager ->
Right click on the partition of the 10GB HDD & select format->NTFS. Assign a drive letter (whatever).

Done.

It’s a 5minute operation.