> 2MB of Cache & ATA-100/133 Support

vbimport

How many people want Lite-On to put in more than 2MB of cache and ATA-100/133 support :slight_smile: ?

more than 2Mb buffer = definitively.

Why ATA66/100 support? ATA33 is overkill for a CD-RW drive already since it do not reach these transfer rates…

I have an ATA100 asus DVD-ROM which is nothing but problems with some IDE controllers and I suspect this to be due to ATA100 support…

I wouls like to see about an 8MB buffer, with RAM prices as they are a 16MB wouldn’t be a bad Idea either.

ATA33 is more than fast enough.

Well if you hook up your drive at the same IDE controller as your harddisk then ATA100/133 would be nice, otherwise your harddisk is working on ATA33 in stead of ATA100/133.
Both drives will work on the lowest speed, ATA33!!

Correct me if I’m wrong.

I would like to see a buffer of at least 8Mb, especially with burnspeeds of 48 or even 52 in the near future.

Oops these two posts should be one, my fault.

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]Well if you hook up your drive at the same IDE controller as your harddisk then ATA100/133 would be nice, otherwise your harddisk is working on ATA33 in stead of ATA100/133.

Correct me if I’m wrong. [/B]

Ok that used to be true but in most cases not anymore.

Besides I keep my HD’s on Primary and my Burners on Secondary.

i want 16 mb…like my yamaha…

i like big buffers (lol) more then buffer-underun technology…especially for audio

@OC-Freak: You say, ATA33 is overkill. This is wrong!

MW-DMA has no CRC check, so if you use a crap ide cable, corrupt data is written, and you’ll notice that only if you compare the files on the cd with their source.
UDMA has CRC check, and corrupt data can be re-requested.

Yamaha use 8 MB, not 16

Speedwise it’s overkill was my intention to say…

Sorry that you understood it differently :stuck_out_tongue:

lol

you are right…it is 8 mb instead of 16…hmm do not know why i thought it was 16mb…perhaps it is just a secret wish of me

so…put 16 mb in the LITE-ON

2MB is fine as Nero/Clone sets up a RAM buffer and in my case it is 59MB (under Nero) and UDMA33 is fine as this is the speed of the data transfer at the IDE bus and not at the drive. A 52X drive if it could sustain full whack is still transfering data at less than 8MB per second so anything faster is over kill. I would be usefull for when DVD speeds increase though.

Well if you hook up your drive at the same IDE controller as your harddisk then ATA100/133 would be nice, otherwise your harddisk is working on ATA33 in stead of ATA100/133.

You are wrong, both drives would have to be working at the same time to lower the speed, the drives would and do work at there correct speeds if they operate at different times and if you was placing data on the HDD from the CD ROM (hence making the HDD slower) it wouldnt make a great deal of difference would it? No body places there burner and source drives on the same IDE channel anyway.

A larger buffer would be great, ATA100/133 is not much of a use, but guess it couldn’t hurt. :smiley: A buffer of about 4-8mb would be a nice addition.