2gb limit

vbimport

Anyone know why it’s splitting into 2gb parts? I cannot find any settings to change. I’m building a NRG image of files (UDF). I’m running RH9 2.4 kernel ext3 fs. Any help is appreciated. And yes, I did RTFM and it mentioned nothing about 2gb limit. I thought it was only a FAT/FAT32 thing.

bump…

anyone having the same problem? or is everyone not getting hit w/ a 2gb limit when making an image of files…

This is the normal behaviour for the Linux version. The NRG files are splitted in 2 GB files so that they can fit on every file system that is available.

Thanks mathf, that’s all I needed to know. They should include that information in the manual. Too bad Nero didn’t make it a changable setting.

I havn’t tried making an image of DVD using nero yet, but with this, I’m sure I won’t be pleased.
So. it’s the normal behaviour so it’d work on every filesystem. cool. now shouldn’t there be a way to change that ?
I’d really love to see this problem disappearing :slight_smile:

btw. isn’t that 2GB limit a little bit too old? All currently used filesystems on linux support files bigger than 4GB. Even the old old distros NeroLinux is supposed to support arn’t old enough to have such a limit.

I tend to agree with makosama on this. I don’t really use NRG image files to worry about this but the 2 gigabyte limit is a bit obsolete now considering FAT/FAT32 were the ones that had these limitations and NTFS and Linux filesystems are more popular these days which both support over 4 gigabyte files. :slight_smile:

Let’s correct this. Older versions of linux DID have a size limit of 2GB, however, that disappeared with 2.4.0 release. Yes you have to have LFS (Large File Support) compiled in kernel, but that option is compiled in all default kernels NeroLinux is supposed to support…

I really doubt anyone uses these old old linux distros except some corporate users that are too cheap to switch to somthing newer, even though, these users must at least have updated thier kernel to somthing newer. :slight_smile:

Come on… let’s remove this stupid limitation (or at least give us the option to disable it in runtime) :slight_smile:

I don’t think that you really want to get rid of the 2GB limit. It’s not a Windows, Linux, or even Mac X limitation. It’s because the DVD format was grandfathered into the now ancient CD ISO 9660 standard for compatiblity with CDs. ISO 9660 only allows for 32 bit file names. Problem is ISO 9660 is the only “real” hardware standard so far for DVDs. Joliet makes some half-hearted attempts at patching the 32-bit limit by adding extentions. UDF format is a mainly now just software standard that very few hardware devices understand in firmaware. Devices need to patched with codecs or plugins understand all the weird varieties of formats we try to use to get around the ISO 9660 limit. Whenever you write DVD now with files referenced by more than 32-bits you’re going to run the risk of non-compatiblity issues. We’ll have to wait until the DVD Wars are over (Blue Ray, DVD-HD, or whatever) until we see a true “standard” for handling big files on DVDs.

why is the 2gb file splitting a problem? Does it affect the burn quality or the burn itself? if it doesnt and you don’t need the image why bother with the way it does it? (unless it is just inefficent / badly coded)

Hummm… it is not so easy. Under Linux, you have no really way to determine the maximum size of a file, when the only thiing you know is its location. As you probably know, Linux has a file system abstraction layer called VFS that blinds (quite) everything about the original FS.

Hummm… and what about Samba shares for example ? With such a file system, you have no way to really know what is behind.

I wasn’t suggesting that the 2GB limit should be removed completely. I know there are many issues in this topic including VFS :). If you read back, I was suggesting a way to change this behaviour. The 2GB limit is somthing many of us need it disabled, so somthing like the option of overburning (disabled by default, but can be enabled by those who want it) will really really be great.

This issue is now fixed with NeroLINUX 2.0.0.2. The application will take care about Large File Support capabilities of the file system you try to write the image on. You can now burn for example a full DVD+R DL image that will be stored in 1 file of 8.6 GB on an ext3 partition.

This is great. Thanks…
We hope we’ll see more features in the future like overburning, dvd-video and other nice features in nero windows :slight_smile: