2500A wite quality with crappy DVD-R

Originally posted by Herrie
Where do you live? Throughout Europe discs shouldn’t cost much more then just 1,- each!

I live in Italy, in a very “far from the center” place.

1. in Italy there is a tax over optical media , if I’m not wrong it costs 0.35€ for each support (it doesn’t matter if it is a CD-R or DVD-R or whatever)

2. the cheapest price I’ve seen for DVD-R (princo of course ;-P) here in italy (an online web store) was around 1€ each (but only buying a “tower” of 100 DVD-R)

Nice , isn’t it?:Z

Live long and prosper!
And happy Easter! :slight_smile:

Here I am again, still testing with my crappy DVD-R…
I flashed the beta7 firmware, I was just curious to see if something had changed…
I’ve only burned one disc but it seems promising.

I burned it @6X (the max speed allowed by beta7) and the kprobe scan looks like this:

As for the kprobe scan there isn’t much to say, it’s similar to the previous ones BUT, when I ran the nero dvdspeed test something looked different, the curve is almost perfect and drops down only in the very last part:

This scan was made with my 451@851@812@U18A :wink:

But the surprises aren’t finished!!
I also ran the same test with the Nec as the reader, just to see if it could read it to the end.
I did this because I had noticed that the nec had an harder time reading and sometimes failed with “Unrecoverable error” in nero and wih CRC errors in CDCheck (another program I use to check).
I have heard the nec isn’t a very good reader too and this seemed to confirm this BUT…here’s the surprise: :slight_smile:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if I’ve understood it correctly the beta6 firmware was based on the stock 1.06 fw and the beta7 is based on the TDK 1.25 fw.
Am I wrong?
If I’m not maybe this could mean the 1.25 fw from the TDK contains better read algorithms than the 1.06.
Please let me know your opinion.

In the meantime I’m gathering more data to burn another to be more sure (with crappy DVD-R one is never sure if is the media or the burned to have improved :rolleyes: )

And once again, THANKS to Herrie , his beta testers and

Live long and prosper :slight_smile:

Oops, I made a mistake, it wasn’t the 1.25 fw from the TDK but from the HP!!
xcuse me!

Be well

i’m from romania and i also have a problem with prices here (around 2.5Eur a traxdata or a memorex 4x dvd+r) but I found longtenn001 -R branded as DIVA for 1eur and they burn ok even at 8X. Princo -R 4X are 1.5eur here and they work at 6X perfectly (I haven’t tried at 8X yet). As we’re not part of EU yet I think there is no tax as in Italy but I don’t want to think how much it will cost when we’ll join the club.

Ok, I’ve made another test and it just keeps improving!!!
The Kprobe is always the same but the Nero DVD Speed is practically perfect, now on both the Liteon and the Nec…

This is the liteon test

And this is the Nec test

I’m starting to think the discs are getting better as I go further on the batch…
The burner can’t be improving so much by itself without changing the firmware…isn’t it? :confused:

Next time I’ll try to burn on the liteon so to check my ipothesis…

See you later!

Live long and prosper

Yep, you are definitely experiencing the unpredictability and variability of low quality media first hand.
Glad to see that some of the discs are turning out ok :slight_smile:

Originally posted by wesociety
Yep, you are definitely experiencing the unpredictability and variability of low quality media first hand.
Glad to see that some of the discs are turning out ok :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m glad too! :smiley:

And just for the log, I did the test on my liteon and it turned out as horrible as it was before( PI ~900 - PO ~550) , so I guess that for the liteon the quality hasn’t varied enough :wink:

gh gh gh

Live long and prosper!

i have the same problem with variability with my media… i bought 25 ridata dvd-r’s and every one of them has blotchy burns, i guess this is from the uneveness of the dvd-r’s… i’m very sad… i bought the ridata’s b/c they are ritek g04’s and i’ve heard lots of good news about the g04’s… yet, i’m getting flawless burns with “crappy” memorex 4x dvd-r’s: no blotchyness whatsoever on the media.

here i was starting to think it was my nec 2500 that was the cause of my problems, but it’s actually this shitty media…

i wonder what some of your results have been with ritek g04’s? is it just the ridata’s that are crappy? should i buy the non-labeled g04’s, or should i continue burning with memorex dvd-r’s with the blue dye? b/c they work fine and with no blotchyness

Originally posted by ryaneszorro
[B]

i wonder what some of your results have been with ritek g04’s?
[/B]

Some time ago I tried some RitekG04 (branded Traxdata) with my Liteon 451S and results were varied…
The first cakebox (10 pieces each) gave very good results

PI ~6 & PO ~ 0.015

The second and the third (which I bought after the good results with the first one) gave acceptable results

PI ~ 62 & PO ~ 0.110

At first I thought it was the firmware update but when I backflashed and the results didn’t vary I understood it was the media to be worse.

I still have some of the third cakebox left but haven’t tried it with the 2500, yet :wink:

is it just the ridata’s that are crappy?

I’ve never tried this media, sorry!

should i buy the non-labeled g04’s

From what I read here around, the re-branded RitekG04 are of very variable quality, some are very bad, some acceptable, some good…it’s just that the re-branded ones are of inferior grade (B,C,D etc) and are susceptible to very great variations in quality.

, or should i continue burning with memorex dvd-r’s with the blue dye? b/c they work fine and with no blotchyness

If you’ve found a good brand and keep finding it from your supplier keep it!! (if the price stays good, of course!)

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Live long and prosper