2500a stopped recognising any media

i recently purchased a new 2500a and updated to 2510 mad dogs 2.f7 firmware…all was well for about 2 weeks untill last night…i bought a new cakebox of blanks and the first disc made a grinding noise as it burnt but burnt fine as i tested it in kprobe then watched the film…the next disc burnt fine no sounds and a good scan…turned pc off and when i rebooted the next day my drive wont recognise anything at all…i am about to rma the drive but was wondering if it may be something else in case the new drive comes and is the same…could it be that i went from 2500 to 2510 etc…
thanks in advance

I cannot comment on the specifics of your situation, but can share a similar story. My first CD burner was a Yamaha CRW4416. It belted out hundreds and hundreds of CDs. During one burn, coincidentally its last burn, it made some funny noises. After this point it refused to recognize any disc inserted. I imagine I had exhausted the useful life of it and ended up replacing the drive. Your drive is only 2 weeks old, but the possibility exists that you may have exhausted its useful life as well - it may have been the runt of the litter. I imagine you still have warranty, or perhaps a return policy. I recommend flashing back to stock firmware and taking one of those routes if no one can advise you on fixing the drive.

yeah i took it back to shop and they replaced the drive…as soon as i put it in everything back to normal…must have been just 1 of those things as my last nec 1300a burnt endlessly night after night for about 18 mnths with no problems…hope this lasts longer than 2 weeks lol…