2500a or LiteOn 811s

vbimport

I posted on the general forum, nobody replies, so try my luck here:

I bought two of them, trying to test out. After several tries I couldn’t decide which one to keep.
The NEC 2500a is supposed to be better, with 8x on both + and -, but the read of DVD-Video is locked. Ripping is slow. Even with the firmware unlocked.

The nec 2500a write TDK 4X DVD+R (Ricon disk) at 6x, the LiteOn write at 8x. They both write memorex DVD-R at 4x(CMG).

One day, my PC, DELL 4600 suddenly lost NEC drive, it was on, and the drive (e:) disappeared, and I have to restart the PC.

The NEC reading has much more problems than LiteOn, I am using DVD Shrink 3.1, the NEC can’t finish reading 3 of the DVDs, with LiteOn, no problem.

How to compare the write quality? The review on the net says NEC 2500a has bettern DVD write quality, how?

I want to keep the LiteOn, however, my settop dvd player can’t read DVD+R, with the 8x DVD-R, the NEC 2500a is supposed better. which one? any help?

Originally posted by everest
How to compare the write quality? The review on the net says NEC 2500a has bettern DVD write quality, how?

I have done comparitive burns/scans on the NEC 2500 and LiteOn 411 with various media posted here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89876

The 411 is almost identical in write strategy and quality to the 811. That thread is proof that the NEC has better write quality.

If you don’t have a DVD-ROM drive go for
liteon else stay with NEC

with Liteon you can always use the 'Book Type" tool and set your DVD+R to DVD-Rom and it should work in most DVD stand alone players, plus there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to burn DVD-R with the Liteon, the hardware and software in your computer also plays a part in the difference between a good :wink: or bad :frowning: burn

This is the 3rd time you’ve posted this topic, and your second warning abour cross-posting. Please don’t cross-post.