2500a Firmware hacked out of the box?

I just purchased a new OEM NEC 2500a from a Canadian dealer.

Much to my surprise, it’s showing up as RPC1, and it ripped a DVD at about 4X (which if I’m not mistaken is higher than the rip-lock should allow it to).

Is there an “official” firmware with these features, or did the dealer pass on a return that someone flashed and brought back?

i’m going to have to go with the return scenario. as far as i know, official firmwares are never rpc1.

Originally posted by canook
…or did the dealer pass on a return that someone flashed and brought back?

this is the most likeliest.

I ran a second check using Nero and this time it’s showing up properly as RPC2. I can’t recall what the first program was, but it’s not RPC1 any more…

Still can’t figure out the fast rip speed, but I’m leaning towards it being original firmware since the RPC is still intact (although I think there are firmwares that only remove the rip-lock, right?)

Hopefully just my mistake.

The rip lock is set at 5x.

At a guess, the tool you used to detect the RPC status didn’t respond correctly to an RPC2 drive that was region “unset”. When you first used the drive on a DVD movie disc, the region was set, and the tool then worked correctly.

However, both recent versions of Nero InfoTool and DVDINFOPro get this right to my knowledge - at least in the absence of software like AnyDVD that can potentially interfere with RPC checks.

David