2500a again!

hi guys im new on here, but have been reading around this drive for a while now.

i have just bought this drive and installed it today, and i have a few queries…
firstly should i enable DMA mode on the drive?

seconly the drive seems to be ripping really rather slowly, which firmware should i update to (i did read the 2 versions or 6.01 firmware thread, but i got very confused as to which one to get)

thirdly which format must files be in to play on home dvd players, and is there conversion software available?

also how can i burn at 8x in nero 6, i can only see support for 4x although this is the demo version, i think.

i am using dvd shrink to rip the discs, hopefully nero to burn.
nec 2500a on primary slave

running win98
1gig athlon

i know you are probably sick to death of these questions by now but i would really appreciate some guidance.

thankyou in advance.

Hi and welcome aboard!

Originally posted by rg1 [B]
hi guys im new on here, but have been reading around this drive for a while now.

i have just bought this drive and installed it today, and i have a few queries…
firstly should i enable DMA mode on the drive?
[/b]

Yes you should. In most systems this is done automatically, but you better double check (in the Control panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager -> Properties of the IDE channels)!

Originally posted by rg1
seconly the drive seems to be ripping really rather slowly, which firmware should i update to (i did read the 2 versions or 6.01 firmware thread, but i got very confused as to which one to get)

It seems that the oldes version of the firmware is still the best one. But if I were you, I’d test both and see how they work out for you!

Originally posted by rg1
thirdly which format must files be in to play on home dvd players, and is there conversion software available?

DVD format is DVD compliant MPEG2. From what kind of source do you want to convert? If you want to do DVD to DVD copies, all you (may) need is transcoding software. For other sources, an MPEG2 encoder will most probably be needed.

Originally posted by rg1
also how can i burn at 8x in nero 6, i can only see support for 4x although this is the demo version, i think.

First, make sure that you have an updated version of Nero that supports your drive. Besides that, the higher write speed is often only displayed when you put a 8x disc in the drive. Nothing odd about that :slight_smile:

Originally posted by rg1
i am using dvd shrink to rip the discs, hopefully nero to burn.
nec 2500a on primary slave

Yes that should work. In general, it’s better to put the DVDr drive on the secondary master channel, but it should be able to work as slave without a prob!

Originally posted by rg1
running win98
1gig athlon

Should be fine! It may take some time to transcode etc, but it has to work out.

Originally posted by rg1
i know you are probably sick to death of these questions by now but i would really appreciate some guidance.

Nah we’re not… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by rg1
thankyou in advance.

np!

thankyou very much for your reply, most appreciated.

I need 1 hour to rip and shrink a 7.4 GB DVD with my 1 Ghz P3

yeah thats about the same time it takes for me too,
how long does it take for you to burn the ripped file? i just did one and it took around 50 mins (at 4x speed) is this right?

Burning is much faster. I would say 20 - 30 minutes. I will check more carefully next time I burn something.

Originally posted by rg1
yeah thats about the same time it takes for me too,
how long does it take for you to burn the ripped file? i just did one and it took around 50 mins (at 4x speed) is this right?

50 min is 1x speed. 4x will be around 15 min.

As you are shrinking a DVD (i.e. recoding) the largest portion of the time is spent recoding which is dependent largely on CPU speed.

1GHz P3 isn’t that fast for recoding so it will take some time.

Note: DVDShrink only reports the time by subtracting start and end times by the system clock, so if you go and do something useful which doing the recode and DVD shrink ends up waiting for a blank disc this waiting time is included in the time reported. It is not neccessarily the sum of all time taken by each action.

yeah ive srted my burn time now, ive tried it under windows xp on my secondary hdd and it seems to be much much better durning in about 15-18 mins now.

in 98 the drive was only using 50% of the read buffer according to nero, and i guess this was slowing it down a lot,

now its all good though :slight_smile: very pleased with the drive