‘25% of internet users uses VPN’

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: ‘25% of internet users uses VPN’[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/04/computer-156007_1280-95x75.png[/newsimage]

About 25% of all internet users access the internet using a VPN service, according to data from research company Global Web Index. The company asked nearly 200,000 internet users in 34 countries whether they used a VPN.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/25-internet-users-uses-vpn-79038/](http://www.myce.com/news/25-internet-users-uses-vpn-79038/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I honestly thought it would be higher. There must be more average and lower than average users than I thought.

I suspect it is higher but people never really tell all the truth. :cool:

I would say many people that use a VPN won’t admit they use one just because they think it is nobody’s business what they do in general.

[QUOTE=UTR;2771523]I would say many people that use a VPN won’t admit they use one just because they think it is nobody’s business what they do in general.[/QUOTE]

I think you’re right. If I got that question out of the blue, I would reply ‘am I? Not last time I checked.’ which would probably be true as it probably was a TeamViewer session. If I am VPNed, proxified or both whatever, it is nobody’s business… We tend to use such technologies because we value our privacy :cool:

[QUOTE=UTR;2771523]I would say many people that use a VPN won’t admit they use one just because they think it is nobody’s business what they do in general.[/QUOTE]
EXACTLY…and you know its the NSA/CIA/DHS/FBI and Various Country Security Apparatus that wants to know this only.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2771530]I think you’re right. If I got that question out of the blue, I would reply ‘am I? Not last time I checked.’ which would probably be true as it probably was a TeamViewer session. If I am VPNed, proxified or both whatever, it is nobody’s business… We tend to use such technologies because we value our privacy :cool:[/QUOTE]

I actually find that kind of ironic, because people seem to think that if you use a VPN then you are anonymous online…and that is simply not true. You can never be completely anonymous online. You can increase privacy and security through various ways, but in the end there is always still identifying data. That’s not to say they aren’t good measures to take. I do sometimes use a VPN and private browsers. I have an SSL certificate implemented on my business website and use an FTP server (like this one), but not for one second do I think that these measures make me invisible and 100% safe and sound. I also find it hilarious when someone uses a VPN but then posts his or her entire life on Facebook. Oh yes, I’ve seen this happen. I just think that people don’t completely understand the technology and seem to throw privacy, security, and anonymity all into the same basket, and they are not the same thing. You can be more secure and a little more private online, but you can never be anonymous online. And as far as being invisible online and then using a smartphone…well, we won’t get into that one. Privacy is becoming more and more just an illusion.

Of course, VPN is just a part of it, and I could not be bothered on a site like this of course as I am logged in :slight_smile: What the VPN provides is of course save you from the prying eyes of others on the way to your VPN endpoint, but from there you are pretty much the same as anyone else, trackable back to the exit node which is the same for proxies.
Certificates provides a secure transmission as long as it has not been compromised.
Here however, the answer was related to if anyone asked me about my usage, and that question I will not answer when addressed by strangers.
This vm is only accessing this site and so is strictly club.myce.com related. then I have another one if I HAVE to access social media which happens once or twice a year (that vm is in other words used only once or twice a year)… a total of 28 installs for various work currently, of which none shares clipboard or supports drag and drop, some VPNed, some proxified, some like this one, not at all… Even reports everything I do to microsoft and is on full update auto as I would like Microsoft to get what I write in here.
My control center on the other hand does not leak anything as outbound default rule is block, not even a bit telemetry data, no Windows update, no nothing, currently even lacks a default gateway as I moved TeamViewer to a vm.

You are right of course, the question is only how much and what data and not online means none. We can do much about the amount, but none… as long as you’re online, hardly possible.

Hi. I have a few of questions.
[ul]
[li]If you use VPN, does that mean that VPN provider can now spy you instead of your internet provider?
[/li][li]Also, many of VPN providers are logging and will give information about your activity (or at least your real IP) if required. Is this correct?
[/li][li]Some say they don’t log anything but can you trust them?
[/li][/ul]

[QUOTE=espresso;2771660]Hi. I have a few of questions.
[ul]
[li]If you use VPN, does that mean that VPN provider can now spy you instead of your internet provider?[/li][li]Also, many of VPN providers are logging and will give information about your activity (or at least your real IP) if required. Is this correct?[/li][li]Some say they don’t log anything but can you trust them?[/li][/ul]
[/QUOTE]
Why not ask this of the VPN provider yourself?

[QUOTE=espresso;2771660]Hi. I have a few of questions.
[ul]
[li]If you use VPN, does that mean that VPN provider can now spy you instead of your internet provider?[/li][li]Also, many of VPN providers are logging and will give information about your activity (or at least your real IP) if required. Is this correct?[/li][li]Some say they don’t log anything but can you trust them?[/li][/ul]
[/QUOTE]

[ul]
[li] Theoretically, however, their business and very existence depends on providing privacy so not likely at all.[/li][li] That is why you check out the providers prior to signing up at sites like torrentfreak, then you compare price.[/li][li]Yes, if not they will soon enough be out of business. You can pretty much trust them to put up a fight on behalf of customers for the same reason as well.[/li][/ul]

Thanks for your answer. I used VPN service once because I needed foreign IP addresses to check offers in different countries. It was Private internet access. They state that they don’t log IPs, by the way.
But as many people use VPN full time I’m thinking about getting an account. I was curious what the consensus was, since you are transferring your privacy from your provider to some other company you don’t know much about.

What you also have to remember is that PIA uses shared IP addresses.  The positive is that a large number of users all appear to be coming from the same IP address.  If someone bring a court order to PIA asking who was using this IP address at this time, even if they had a log (Which they say they don’t), they’d hand over a large list of users.   VPN’s that use shared ip address enhance privacy.

The downside is that it’s extremely easy for websites to blacklist those ip addresses, because the VPN only uses so many :frowning:

I have used a VPN for many years and they get better with faster speeds all the time, I am not going to mention what one I use because then the thread will turn into a spam thread, but some are way better than others.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2771906]I have used a VPN for many years and they get better with faster speeds all the time, I am not going to mention what one I use because then the thread will turn into a spam thread, but some are way better than others.[/QUOTE]
I don’t use VPN for the most part because I don’t generate traffic worth squat for them. But I do use Proxy but not saying how or where but it so far has worked well. And the Proxy is free too use…no subscription fees.

Do yourselves a favor when signing up for a VPN service: make sure to read the terms and conditions of the VPN provider VERY carefully, especially their privacy statement. Often, these privacy statements mention logging and storing information for long periods of time. In worst case scenarios, they also share that information. Be careful of claims about “preventing crime”, or whatever: these are excuses to share information about your activities with big brother.

Of course, there are VPN services that have your back.Just because some suck, doesn’t mean they all suck.

Of course, you should also use a VPN provider that encrypts all of your communications with modern encryption algorithms. The last thing anyone who values his/her privacy needs is an old encryption that big brother can (and of course will) crack. Any connection that uses the PPTP standard should be avoided, as PPTP’s encryptions are outdated. I would recommend using OpenVPN with AES encryption where possible.